Dear Forum - What would you do??

Dear Forum

I have been working for the same company for the last five years - went into my line of work (youth training) as it was something I was very interested in, and it's proved to be a great job! Really enjoyed it - and I have been very good in the role, beating all KPI's even when colleagues couldn't meet theirs... The place I work is a big company, but I have never been successful in getting a management role there (I was a manager in my last career) and I have now been offered a managers role with a smaller competitor... Trouble is, the wage is the same as I get already, and they are not in a position to offer more... I went for a interview for a managers role within a larger competitor and they were offering £10K+ more than my current wage, but I wasn't successful as been five years since I was last a manager... What would you do? Take a post where I'd been manager for 15 other people, on the same cash as I recieve today for simply sorting myself out? Or, stay where I am???

Had the money been even a few K more, it'd make it a no brainer - Just have a feeling I might start to feel a bit put upon... But that said, the pull of more recent experience is a huge plus! I was a great manager before, and although in a different area, there are enough similarities to make the roles comparable... In my last managers job I had one of the top performing teams in the country, so know that I am good :)

Come on then, what's your advice???

In the current climate I'd go for the job which has the greatest job security. Ask yourself which of the two companies is least likely to be making job cuts in the future and go with them.

I get you, but in my line of work all work is secure as it's a boom business, and the line I came out of is booming too, so could always double back to that... That isn't what is the issue for me - just wondering if others would take a post with more responsibilities for same cash, if other aspects were better???

Go for the management position. It may be the same pay for a more senior role, though perhaps what you haven't considered is the enhancement it will make to your cv.

You stated you didn't get the management job paying £10k more as you hadn't been in a management position for over five years. For example, if you take this job and then reapply to that position in say, two years time, then you would be a better position of getting it.

Just because a position does not offer immediate short term benefits such as salary, that's not to say that it won't present longer term ones, such as relevant experience.

Go for the management position. It may be the same pay for a more senior role, though perhaps what you haven't considered is the enhancement it will make to your cv.

You stated you didn't get the management job paying £10k more as you hadn't been in a management position for over five years. For example, if you take this job and then reapply to that position in say, two years time, then you would be a better position of getting it.

Just because a position does not offer immediate short term benefits such as salary, that's not to say that it won't present longer term ones, such as relevant experience.

This is exactly my point - the new post will be a hell of a lot more work for the same cash, but will give the advantage of showing management recently when I next apply for a post... My point is, is it worth it when managers roles in my industry reckon to pay £35-£50K? My wage is nowhere near that now, and other providers pay more for the job I do right now, but then I don't want a side step, has to be forward or nothing...

Unless you find another employer that will take you on at £35k+ without the recent management experience that the employer that turned you down required, you may not be able to move forward.

I have no experience in the field you work in, though if the 5 year recent management experience criteria is a prerequisite to advancing then I'd be doing my damndest to ensure I got it, even if it did mean taking on more work.

Evidence of taking on tough job to progress yourself in the long term also goes down well with prospective employers as it shows resilience and personal responsibility. A bit of short term pain for long term gain!

Theres a lot more to a job than pay and responsibility.

You need to consider

- do you prefer working for a larger or smaller company

- do you like the team you work with at the moment and whats your line manager like - colleagues that are good to work with are worth a few thousand on a payscale in themselves

- where are they based geographically

- what kind of work will you be doing

- what are your prospects within the company

Make an informed choice based on where you would prefer to work.

Unless you find another employer that will take you on at £35k+ without the recent management experience that the employer that turned you down required, you may not be able to move forward.

I have no experience in the field you work in, though if the 5 year recent management experience criteria is a prerequisite to advancing then I'd be doing my damndest to ensure I got it, even if it did mean taking on more work.

Evidence of taking on tough job to progress yourself in the long term also goes down well with prospective employers as it shows resilience and personal responsibility. A bit of short term pain for long term gain!

5 years recent experience is not a pre requiste - the last post I applied for was between me and another - They were in a management post at the time, and my last management post had been nearly 5 years before so that flipped it for me... The job is tough full stop - motivating teenagers known as neets to do anything is hard work! Not just attending training, taking a apprenticeship post, taking a job, but just getting ready early enough to do any of those things is the start... The work I did before this was equally hard with long hours and was mentally exhausting... I don't have to worry about my CV not showing that I take challenging posts - they've all been like that so far :) It's just the low pay next to the increased workload in a already difficult job that has made me wonder if it's just me who feels it's best to seek a new post with the salary that matches it, rather than take a post with one eye on the door...

Theres a lot more to a job than pay and responsibility.

You need to consider

- do you prefer working for a larger or smaller company

- do you like the team you work with at the moment and whats your line manager like - colleagues that are good to work with are worth a few thousand on a payscale in themselves

- where are they based geographically

- what kind of work will you be doing

- what are your prospects within the company

Make an informed choice based on where you would prefer to work.

The new colleagues are my old colleagues - loads of people have already run away to join the smaller business from the larger one I work at today... I don't care about how big a company is, as ultimately that doesn't really have much of a day to day effect on me and my work...

Archived