Virgin Active or Pure Gym?

shaggy_x

Surely it depends on what you're after in terms of facilities in addition to the machines and weights? Does Pure Gym offer classes? That's what I use Virgin for. I agree about the music at Virgin, not only the hideous stuff on that loop in the gym but the music from the spinning classes is very loud, which personally does not bother me as I do the classes but I can see how it would annoy/irritate other gym users. That's the problem with the gym layout and not having a dedicated spinning suite, which I heard some time ago was supposed to happen.

ETA: Just checked the Pure Gym website, it does offer classes. Sounds like an excellent deal. I joined Virgin 7 years ago when I moved back to Sheffield as it has a creche which I needed for my kids at the time, the youngest of whom was a pre-schooler. A 24 hour gym is an excellent idea for people who work unsociable hours and/or do shift work.

Ok, here's an interesting fact for you...

The most important factor when choosing a gym is the location relative to where you live. The further away the gym is, the less likely you are to go regularly. That may sound obvious in some way, but let me make myself clearer...

there's a big difference in 3 miles and 4 miles for example. Most regular attendees at gyms live within a 3 mile radius - when it starts going over that the attendances drop off.

I live within 3 miles of Virgin gym - so I go there. For me the choice was between Virgin and Esporta - both are good. I think Virgin is a bit bigger with more equipment and that's important to me as I can't stand queuing to go on things.

Pure Gym sounds great, but no way would I regularly travel the further distance into central Sheff on a regular basis - so even though the membership is cheaper it would work out more expensive for me.

Ok, here's an interesting fact for you...

The most important factor when choosing a gym is the location relative to where you live. The further away the gym is, the less likely you are to go regularly. That may sound obvious in some way, but let me make myself clearer...

there's a big difference in 3 miles and 4 miles for example. Most regular attendees at gyms live within a 3 mile radius - when it starts going over that the attendances drop off.

I live within 3 miles of Virgin gym - so I go there. For me the choice was between Virgin and Esporta - both are good. I think Virgin is a bit bigger with more equipment and that's important to me as I can't stand queuing to go on things.

Pure Gym sounds great, but no way would I regularly travel the further distance into central Sheff on a regular basis - so even though the membership is cheaper it would work out more expensive for me.

I agree that there are other factors beside the cost one. I am probably equidistant from Esporta and Virgin, however, I intensely dislike the feel of the former. I find it dark, oppressive and depressing and it does not motivate me in any way to exercise. Virgin on the other hand is bright, airy and spacious which I like and suits me. I also, as I said earlier, joined for the creche facilities and there is also a very good class timetable which fits in with my lifetsyle.

The location of PureGym alone puts me off to be honest. The frontage which is directly out onto a dual carriageway, where you can be seen huffing and puffing on a treadmill by passing motorists and pedestrians is enough to deter me. Plus I would have to drive in a really circuitious route to get there involving lots of traffic and one way systems whereas I can be at Virgin in less than 10 minutes from where I live. I bet that the carpark at PureGym is quite small too.

• 1 month later...

I paid a £10 joining fee at Virgin, minimum 3 month commitment, and pay £47 per month.

I have been an on and off member for 4 years.

In my opinion, this requires a personal commitment to go at least 3 times a week to get monies worth.

The main reason I joined Virgin was for the pool but the facilities and staff are great.

However, rather frustratingly, Virgin have recently decided to reduce the 3 dedicated swimming lanes down to 2 lanes AT PEAK TIMES with the middle lane now used for 'family' swimming. So where they used to have a Slow, Medium & Fast lane they now have just a slow and fast lane leaving many medium paced swimmers like myself in limbo (bear in mind there are some really ignorant slow swimmers that won't let you past in the slow lane and in the fast lane there are those that think they are Michael Phelps training for the Olympics).

Thanks.

Can you pay for the full year upfront? Is it any cheaper?

Also, can you join the one on Broadfield and use Esporta in Millhouses?

This is unclear. I am a member of Virgin Broadfield and have enquired about my entitlement to access Esporta's facilities, which I can only do once per month on my current membership, apparently. Esporta is some kind of Virgin premier club. It may be different for new members and I may have to upgrade my memberships to have full access.

Is the Virgin good if i want to make my muscles bigger? I mean are the tools always busy? etc... one of my friends told me the virgin always busy so dont go there.

It is rammed in the evenings with groups of young men hogging all the weights machine and congreagting in the free weights area. The latter can be very intimidating. Are you female? There is a 'Ladies' Zone' with some silly girlie weights.

Archived