Should Individual Votes Be Weighted ?

Conrod

Should voting power be weighted by tax contribution?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should voting power be weighted by tax contribution?

• It should be weighted to give high tax payers greater voting power than low tax payers.
    • Votes should be equal but people who have not paid tax in the last 4 years should have no vote.
    • Voting should carry on as it is now.

There's a surprise.

What makes you imagine that someone paying hiher rate tax is of more worth than someone paying little or none?

Surely even you wouldn't be so crass as to judge the worth of a man or the value of his opinion on the basis of how much he earns or owns?

Oh, hang on...

What makes you imagine that someone paying hiher rate tax is of more worth than someone paying little or none?

Surely even you wouldn't be so crass as to judge the worth of a man or the value of his opinion on the basis of how much he earns or owns?

Oh, hang on...

I don't think you get it - another surprise. No, I don't think that a rich man's opinion is necessarily worth more than that of a poor man - but on average, successful people will be more informed and intelligent, so better able to offer a cogent opinion.

Back to the voting thing, I'll try to explain with a simple example or two.

1. If we were company shareholders, with you owning 40% of the shares and me owning 20%, you'd get twice the voting power I have on company decisions. That would be fair.

2. Let's say we're in a nation of 2 people, and you put £99 into the pot for our GDP while I put in £1, should you not have greater influence on how that is spent?

Or are you just going to keep your head in the sand and insist on 'one man' one vote'?

In fact why bother with votes at all? That's just another layer of bureaucracy.

Just collect pledges. The people who pledge to pay in the most get to decide. (Once they've fulfilled their pledges).

Just keep going down the list (biggest pledges at the top) until you've got enough revenue, then everyone below that point can go and get stuffed, because they've no meaningful contribution to make (or don't value their country highly enough).

I don't think you get it - another surprise. No, I don't think that a rich man's opinion is necessarily worth more than that of a poor man - but on average, successful people will be more informed and intelligent, so better able to offer a cogent opinion.

You know that most billionaires would vote to legalise drugs I guess. There's some truth in what you say.

“There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

The government is, in effect, just an elected executive board of a big company - UK PLC. What they do all comes down to money.

No they're not, nobody elected them, they seized power.

Hymn spoking grate england BTW

Archived