Did Overhead Power Lines Kill My Parents??

I was talking to an old school pal a while back,we hadn,t met for many years and we got talking about old times.After an hour of reminising he asked about my parents and I told him they had both passed on both dying of cancer,he then said[Thats probably because of all the years you lived below the power lines going over your house!].This set me thinking I seem to remember that Russian scientists did a study on this a few years back claiming that high power lines cause electrical fields which in turn causes cancer if you live too close for too long.Has any Forum members any knowledge or info about this subject.:help::help::

Years ago i had a Border collie he was in fine health,My garden backs onto an electric sub station.One day they came and did some work there that lasted a few days, they said it was to do with upgrading the deep power lines or something.You can always hear a low hum coming from the sub station.

Not long after they did that work my collie started having fits,i always thought it had something to do with that electric sub station and whatever they did that day.

My sister lives close to the river severn and the huge power station in that area.

Several women.......including herself...... on her street have been diagnosed with breast cancer over the years that she's lived there!

It does make you wonder.

It makes you wonder what? I'd guess it's just a coincidence. They do say that 1 in 4 people will suffer with some kind of cancer in their life...

I used to live in a small village before moving over the boundary into Sheffield.

We lived in a small council estate of about 80 houses,and you would be amazed at the number of deaths from cancer in the space of 10 yrs or so,including two children.

I didn't think of it at the time,but the estate was overshadowed by overhead power lines marching into Sheffield. Makes you wonder....................

A statistical analysis would show whether it's coincidence or not.

I don't know of any statistical analyses into power lines.

I remember the furore many years ago, when a statistical analysis into power plants showed that the incidence of leukemia, around one particular plant, was four times higher than the national average. A great many campaigners took up the cudgels to get all such plants closed down, and completely ignored all the rest of the analysis which showed that at various other plants, the leukemia rate was lower than the national average, and at still others was just about the same.

You're quite right that a statistical analysis would show the truth, but that doesn't mean that people would accept what it says.

Archived