Community Work question

If somebody is naughty/stupid enough to be caught and convicted of an offence, they can get unpaid community work.

I want to know where these people work and what they actually do to help the/their community.

I have also been informed that the "Magistrates" are advised not to enforce the work on a Sat/Sun as it may disrupt their family life.

Serving up food to old people in various community centres, I've known them to go to charity shops, although that is often saved now for people on new deal getting work experience, there is a farm near Hathersage who have people with disabilities going to help out with the animals, and they send a lot of offenders there to tend to the vegetable patches and flower beds. They also do gardening on community centres, cleaning graffitti, painting fences etc. A freind of mine complained a few years ago that if he was doing community work, he wanted to help the community, not paint a fence. They got him a placement in a school as a teaching assistant! They get there, and sign in, and either go out in a community van to wherever they are getting sent and do gardening, cleaning, painting, or whatever, or go on 'lunch club' serving the oldies.

Archived