Is it time to do away with the Minimum wage?

In case you hadn't noticed there are about 3 million people unemployed. Better for a company to be paying them £3 an hour than the state giving them £100 a week to stay on the the dole.

somone has pointed out that people aren't going to get off the dole for a higher wage, so why on earth would they do it for less?

I understand the people with families not being encouraged by a rise in minimum wage, but for young people I think it would encourage them. going from job seekers into full time work you end up with about £40 extra in your pocket per week, no wonder it's no real incentive (i know that's not a very possitive attitude but it's one that a lot of people share).

If by working you were guaranteed a decent wage and a significantly better quality of life it might kick start the younger generation into work and stop them before they do become reliant on benefits for life like so many now.

somone has pointed out that people aren't going to get off the dole for a higher wage, so why on earth would they do it for less?

I understand the people with families not being encouraged by a rise in minimum wage, but for young people I think it would encourage them. going from job seekers into full time work you end up with about £40 extra in your pocket per week, no wonder it's no real incentive (i know that's not a very possitive attitude but it's one that a lot of people share).

If by working you were guaranteed a decent wage and a significantly better quality of life it might kick start the younger generation into work and stop them before they do become reliant on benefits for life like so many now.

What quality of life, these people are expected to rent rooms in shared houses till they are 35.

The economy is weighted too far in favour of non productive people such as landlords and usurers. Rent and housing benefit is so high, whilst wages are low, that it don't make somebody better off by working.

Alternatively it would be simpler to lower the amount of benefits people receive so taking any job, no matter how poorly paid, is better than staying on the dole.

A life on benefits was never intended to be a permanent lifestyle choice, it was to help out people who were temporarily out of work.

In case you hadn't noticed there are about 3 million people unemployed. Better for a company to be paying them £3 an hour than the state giving them £100 a week to stay on the the dole.

What about the many more millions who are paid minimum wage. Is it going to help them to cut their income by over 50%. They're on a barely sufficient wage as it is.

So you'd rather the government put people into debt?

The minimum wage can only work if every country in the world has a minimum wage. Otherwise companies will continue to leave the UK and set up factories and call centres in places like India and China where wages costs will be a fraction of those in the UK.

As there's no way China and India would ever bring in a minimum wage, we should get rid of it here.

How is going back to paying people less that £3 p/h going to help the UK??

@Mike84.

How is people earning zilch because so much work is going abroad helping the the UK??

rickiethecat is right, a minimum wage can only work if every country in the world adopts it.

Archived