God/gods god/gods

Ok, take the flying spaghetti monster. It is impossible to disprove it's existence, because any argument you make can be countered by me making up a new property of the monster that gets round your argument.

I was trying to relate to this kind of thinking in another thread- when Santa was being used as an example.

Unfortunately many atheists like to add spin and rely on rhetoric to change angles and take debates away- even the current new atheism (militant atheists like Dawkins and Hitchins) use this.

You can use logic to deduce the likely existence of God compared to trying to apply the same rational in attempting to prove FSM exists or the so called celestial teapot or pink unicorns/santa.

Just in case Flamming Jimmy butts in, I am not advocating the 'appeal to the people' fallacy or as he likes to point out, the correct term being argumentum ad populum, but there are countless people who hold the belief that some intelligent being exists- even brilliant minds/scientists have pondered the God question and STILL do. Atheists like Dawkings and Hitchins have written books about it- where are the books on pink unicorns/FSM and how many people actually take these seriously??

We can use arguments to show that a God could exist- we have inferences and, as the Greeks use to do, apply logic.

For example, there are cosmological arguments (arguments for a first cause), teleological arguments (arguments for a Grand Designer), moral arguments (arguments for a Moral Lawgiver), and others.

If you're serious about this then these arguments have to be dealt with properly- I don't see any arguments for the FSM, Pink Unicorns et al.

That is why it is pointless to sometimes debate on here- some atheists do try to con their way around and use nothing but psychology on words and rhetoric- it is exactly how Dawkins has sold his books- it appeals to his type- those who pre condition themselves to shut the door on anything to do with religion without looking at how knowledge could be derived (Epistemology) that does show us that there is good evidence for a creator- whether that evidence is appealing or convincing to an atheist is irrelevant, what is important is that a compelling case can be made.

There, I feel much better for getting that off my chest- now I can go on my holiday.:wave:

Unfortunately many atheists people like to add spin and rely on rhetoric to change angles and take debates away

There, fixed it for you.

Seriously though, if you're going to lay down this repeated slur, why not give specific examples so we might examine your complaint. Otherwise it just makes your arguments all the more weak.

We have proof that the person, Joshua Bar Joseph, probably existed.

We don't have proof he was divine, and from his "quotes", he never claimed divinity for himself.

There was the woman at the well.

The woman saith unto him, I know that Messiah cometh (he that is called Christ): when he is come, he will declare unto us all things. Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he. (John 4:25)

Added here are some more

The divinity of Jesus Christ is further illustrated in John 8:58. Jesus said, “Truly, Truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am”, which means that Jesus existed before His human life on earth.

"I and the Father are one." (John 10:30.)

“the Father is in me and I am in the Father." (John 10:38.)

"Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me," [ONE PERSON] (John 14:11)

“In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.” [ONE PERSON] John 14:20

For example, there are cosmological arguments (arguments for a first cause), teleological arguments (arguments for a Grand Designer), moral arguments (arguments for a Moral Lawgiver), and others.

If you're serious about this then these arguments have to be dealt with properly- I don't see any arguments for the FSM, Pink Unicorns et al.

You see at least three arguments for the Flying Spaghetti Monster. You just quoted them. They are every bit as valid for arguing the existence of the FSM as they are for arguing the existence of any other supernatural creator.

There was the woman at the well.

The woman saith unto him, I know that Messiah cometh (he that is called Christ): when he is come, he will declare unto us all things. Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he. (John 4:25)

Added here are some more

The divinity of Jesus Christ is further illustrated in John 8:58. Jesus said, “Truly, Truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am”, which means that Jesus existed before His human life on earth.

"I and the Father are one." (John 10:30.)

“the Father is in me and I am in the Father." (John 10:38.)

"Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me," [ONE PERSON] (John 14:11)

“In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.” [ONE PERSON] John 14:20

You do yourself no favours with this kind of talking, it means nothing to the majority and certainly wouldn't win a plain English award.

Then let me say in plain English that Jesus made the claim he was he was divine.

...or words to that effect. My point is that throwing in quotes such as these does not endear others to listen. The perception of Church is that we will be bombarded with these biblical rantings.

Archived