God/gods god/gods

I consider it more a philosophy.

I'll agree with you if you argue that it's been interpreted in many different ways. The Tibetan school is very different to Zen, which is different to Thailand.

Fair enough I suppose, in some forms its barely a religion, but in others it clearly is. It has pretty much all of the sillyness of religion, except for the part about god.

Fair enough I suppose

Buddhism is odd in that it has no element of worship, yet still large elements of the spiritual.

I'm a bhuddist, because I don't believe any of it because its not reasonable? :huh:

Label yourself however you wish. :)

I like large elements of buddhism but I avoid reincarnation. I put it in the same group as the idea of an afterlife. I got my introduction to this from Kerouac so it's melted down with a lot of 50s beat poet nonsense, but I like Buddhism. Any spiritual leader that claims "ignore me" is okay to me.

I have reached my 80th year, never a serious churchgoer, yet have always had the belief in God's existence. Born with a logical and analytical mind, it is sometimes hard to justify my beliefs, yet I still do. When I die, one of two things will occcur. I will either travel to another dimension and hopefully reunite with all I hold dear, or oblivion, in whcih case I won't be in a position to give a damn. But I will have had the hope that no sky pixie nonsense ever convinced me otherwise.

What buck said, with bells on !

I am indifferent to religion. There is no proof of a diety, and while many religious notions have been disproved, there is no proof of a lack of a diety, either.

Therefore, until new information comes to light, I have no opinion because there is no opinion to be had without "taking a leap of faith", which I don't care enough to do.

Why do people continue to argue over such matters? There is obviously no correct answer at this point in time.

I don't think there will ever be new information. Some Atheists claim they know there is no God, simply because they say there is nothing to prove he exists, but there is nothing to prove he doesn't either. Maybe the reason for the secrecy, the mystery, is that if God were to show how great heaven is, half the world would be lining up to get there. There doesn't seem much to live for down here sometimes, if you read some of the posts on SF.:)

I don't think there will ever be new information. Some Atheists claim they know there is no God, simply because they say there is nothing to prove he exists, but there is nothing to prove he doesn't either. Maybe the reason for the secrecy, the mystery, is that if God were to show how great heaven is, half the world would be lining up to get there. There doesn't seem much to live for down here sometimes, if you read some of the posts on SF.:)

To prove that a God doesn't exist one would first need a definition of God, as there is no agreement between believers in the definition of God it would be impossible to disprove its existence. If you would like to define God I am convinced I could prove it doesn’t exist.

To prove that a God doesn't exist one would first need a definition of God, as there is no agreement between believers in the definition of God it would be impossible to disprove its existence. If you would like to define God I am convinced I could prove it doesn’t exist.

He's omnipotent so he'll have dark hair and wear bi-focals

I will take up your challenge. Disprove this:

"Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen." 1 Timothy 1:17

And if you read the bible "god" was pretty keen on manifesting himself to all and sundry, yet he's been suspiciously quiet for the last 2,000 years. Hmmmm:suspect:.

He actually proved himself to some of the characters in the bible, and they still went off worshipping some other gods.

If they were provided with evidence and went "meh", why should we be convinced of anything without?

Archived