Are weekly bin collections a "basic right"?

taxman

Communities Secretary Eric Pickles reckons they are.

He is to unveil an extra £250million fund to encourage councils to maintain or restart weekly bin collection.

I'd have thought there were many more worthwhile things that £250million could have been spent on, more "basic rights" than having a half empty bin emptied every week,

Or am I wrong? Do you feel your basic rights would be violated by not having your bins emptied every week?

Able bodied people should be expected to walk around 100m to a centralised recycle bin collection place which cut cost going house to house to house to house to house to house to house to house to house to house to house to house to house to house to house. The money saved then actually goes into recycling and better facilities.

If any extra money is to be spent then it's spend on those who physically can't shift their rubbish out of their property too well.

I haven't had my black bin out for at least a month. Recycling fills up faster tho. I do live alone however and live very frugal.

I don't know what all the fuss is about about bin collections. I have a large black wheelie bin and I sometimes don't put it out for a month as it hardly has anything inside it. Ok I don't have children and I don't eat mcdonalds, pizzas and other unhealthy fast food which is overdone with packaging, but literally one collection every 2 or three weeks is absolutely fine..

Communities Secretary Eric Pickles reckons they are.

He is to unveil an extra £250million fund to encourage councils to maintain or restart weekly bin collection.

I'd have thought there were many more worthwhile things that £250million could have been spent on, more "basic rights" than having a half empty bin emptied every week,

Or am I wrong? Do you feel your basic rights would be violated by not having your bins emptied every week?

It's more than just a basic right for some. Surely you've seen the many bin related threads on here.

As for me, bin collection is not a basic right. I wouldn't mind if the council didn't empty my bin for a week. I recycle what I can so my bin never gets that full anyhow.

Where is this extra £250 million coming from? :suspect:

I'm lucky that I am surrounded with old uns who only live on Glenryck pilchards and tea, my bin gets full I just dump my crap in their bins so two weeks is fine by me.

I see them in the checkout queue sometimes. They occasionally get Tunnock's Teacakes or Mr Kiplings apple pies when they're pushing the boat out.

I agree with those who feel it's not a basic right and not even particularly neccessary. Shouldn't the government be encouraging people to make less waste rather than more?

I think it's a tremendous idea that the weekly pick up should be available.

I also think that your bin should have an RFID chip that bills you £2.50 every time it's picked up, and that £100 should be deducted from your council tax.

I don't know what all the fuss is about about bin collections. I have a large black wheelie bin and I sometimes don't put it out for a month as it hardly has anything inside it. Ok I don't have children and I don't eat mcdonalds, pizzas and other unhealthy fast food which is overdone with packaging, but literally one collection every 2 or three weeks is absolutely fine..

you know you can get them to exchange your bin for a small one? Its much more discreet!

Archived