Are weekly bin collections a "basic right"?

taxman

I think it is a problem, my bin tends to smell by the end of the fortnight, the councils save money by not emptying weekly and make money from the recycling that you have sifted through for them, do they pass this saving on......not a chance.

do you think its still a problem when you consider that this 250 million will take money away from hospitals, schools, paying off the deficit etc?

To be fair to government, the don't "take away" from hospitals, schools etc. It's not either/or. It's "we have room to spend £250m, where shall we put it?" "People bitch about bins, lets put it there".

No its where can we siphon £250 million from to get this through. If you are cutting nurses and spending this on bins you could move that money to pay for the nurses.

Basic maths is great isn't it!

No its where can we siphon £250 million from to get this through. If you are cutting nurses and spending this on bins you could move that money to pay for the nurses.

Basic maths is great isn't it!

Yes.

It was the more the phrase 'take away'. But I don't for a minute think the balance sheet of the nation is basic. I don't agree with the measure but it's a headline grabbing statement we hate the daily fail et al for, which we shouldn't pander to.

"Government takes away nurses to pay for bins".

It obviously doesn't but yes it could definitely be better spent £250m. Just saying they haven't raised that cash by cutting, just happen to have that cash after the cuts (one assumes) which is a subtle but important difference. And yes, we're arguing the same point. :cool:

Weekly bin collections are a good idea, but I would go further and scrap all this ridiculous recycling nonsense where you have to put certain things in a green bin, some in a red one, other things in a blue box, etc, etc. It all goes to the same landfill sites so what's it matter which bin we put it in?

It all goes to the same landfill sites so what's it matter which bin we put it in?

That's a myth. There is problems but a lot of recycling is wasted because it's not properly washed out or the wrong plastic is mixed up. I know it's down to not being properly educated but the money is wasted at this point.

Plus there is really nothing stopping you splitting up your rubbish, you can just put it all in the black bin if you want.

I also think that your bin should have an RFID chip that bills you £2.50 every time it's picked up, and that £100 should be deducted from your council tax.
Doesn't work long term, or even medium term.

I have seen it happen and lived it in Dublin: the rates reduction lasted all of 6 months, and the rates went past their pre-pay-per-lift level within 2 years. With peeps still forking out €6 per lift thereafter.

A perfect application of the 'boiled frog syndrome'.

Note that was (still is, so far as I know) a per lift basis: if you pack your bin so much (to save a lift or two), that the refuse gets 'wedged' and doesn't fall into the lorry the first time around when the bin gets lifted...tough. Your bin, still full, is released from the lorry, and you can try again next week, after you've paid another €6 (seen it happen countless times).

Archived