Are weekly bin collections a "basic right"?

taxman

I see them in the checkout queue sometimes. They occasionally get Tunnock's Teacakes or Mr Kiplings apple pies when they're pushing the boat out.

I agree with those who feel it's not a basic right and not even particularly neccessary. Shouldn't the government be encouraging people to make less waste rather than more?

I hope that you are not deriding the old folk who struggle on a meagre pension.Whats the treat for Halibut-a spot of spiced vineagr?

I think it's a tremendous idea that the weekly pick up should be available.

I also think that your bin should have an RFID chip that bills you £2.50 every time it's picked up, and that £100 should be deducted from your council tax.

When we lived in Dublin, people were charged per bag that was picked up, but you could put anything in the recycling bins. I couldnt tell you the fee, as we lived on one of the few streets in the entire city who were protesting and didnt have to pay...

That's a myth. There is problems but a lot of recycling is wasted because it's not properly washed out or the wrong plastic is mixed up. I know it's down to not being properly educated but the money is wasted at this point.

Its not that hard.

Plus cleaning it out stop nasty odours forming in the bin. I only know to clean out, from living in the US and places wouldnt give you the refund on the bottles unless they were clean.

Doesn't work long term, or even medium term.

I have seen it happen and lived it in Dublin: the rates reduction lasted all of 6 months, and the rates went past their pre-pay-per-lift level within 2 years. With peeps still forking out €6 per lift thereafter.

A perfect application of the 'boiled frog syndrome'.

Note that was (still is, so far as I know) a per lift basis: if you pack your bin so much (to save a lift or two), that the refuse gets 'wedged' and doesn't fall into the lorry the first time around when the bin gets lifted...tough. Your bin, still full, is released from the lorry, and you can try again next week, after you've paid another €6 (seen it happen countless times).

You beat me to it..

I thought it was per bag with the bags having to have scan labels on them. We moved right before it was enforced on our road...

Not sure that it's a "basic right" but it would be nice to have them emptied more often, simply from a hygiene point of view, my bin is cleaned, but my rubbish isn't! I recycle as much as I can, yet 2 weeks, especially during the summer months is, imo, too long!

i am for the bin being emptied weekly.in the hot weather especially....anyway people need jobs.if you do not need your bin emptied just dont put it out for collection.

But that would mean people were being paid to come to your house, realise the bin did not need emptying then moving next door. Which cost's everybody else who pay their council tax. Why should I pay for someone to go to your house, check the bin, realise it didn't need emptying and go away?

I agree that people need jobs, but given the cutbacks to the NHS, libraries, childrens' services, lollipop men, respite care etc etc etc...is getting your bin emptied really that important?

But that would mean people were being paid to come to your house, realise the bin did not need emptying then moving next door. Which cost's everybody else who pay their council tax. Why should I pay for someone to go to your house, check the bin, realise it didn't need emptying and go away?

I agree that people need jobs, but given the cutbacks to the NHS, libraries, childrens' services, lollipop men, respite care etc etc etc...is getting your bin emptied really that important?

Tax, behave ! :hihi:

The council need to do a survey asking people what services they think are more important so that they can prioritise services. Once they get the results in, they can simply spend money on the important services first and foremost, then on the services that are less important to people. When the money for the year is spent, that's it, no more services.

our bins are wheeled to the kerb.the binmen do not need to come to the house.of course its important.no one wants to see cuts to the services you mentioned.but they are a different category.

Archived