Its official, we're a christian country

This is frustrating for the original community because the shops they use close.

And are replaced by shops selling exactly the same things plus other things that the original community never had a chance to buy.

What would you prefer, a shop that just sold meat and potato pies or a shop that sold meat and potato pies AND vegetable samosas?

John X

Now we come to free market arguments, because it isn't the fault of the "area" that the shops they don't use are closed. There isn't a chinese supermarket in Crystal Peaks because there isn't a market for it*. I have to get a bus into town or London Road if I want to buy soy sauce.

It isn't a suprise then that areas with large Indian and Pakistani communities have shops that market to Indian and Pakistani tastes. There is no longer a market for the pub, or the off-licence, as quick examples. Yet still, Balpin claims "no Christian shopkeepers", so it is fair to question his claim.

----------

* To cover my back; there may be a market for it. We won't know until somebody tries.

I know of an area called Park Ward where it would be pointless setting up shop selling aught else but products for Pakistani people.

There are no 'western' people living there.

If someone did set up shop, no one would buy from them anyway.

I do not see your reason for questioning this.

We will look after our own if you do not mind.

I question it because if you want me to accept your statement as truth then it is only fair that I have questions. You might be talking rubbish. In what city is Park Ward?

What do you mean to say by the second line? "We" are what, and who are "our own"?

I know of an area called Park Ward where it would be pointless setting up shop selling aught else but products for Pakistani people.

There are no 'western' people living there.

So if Western people don't live there it's hardly surprising that they sell products to satisfy their customers?

If someone did set up shop, no one would buy from them anyway.

If 'Christians' don't have shops there how do you know? If you visit the ASDA in Dewsbury, a town with a high Asian population, you'll see many customers who appear to be Asian, shopping to their hearts content.

What does that mean? It seems you have an issue with Muslims, without any evidence that they have a problem with you other than your own prejudice.

You're being harsh there boyfriday. Balpin has declared himself friendly and open with his "area", and is happy with it as far as I can tell.

I go into shops and buy things, I talk to the shopkeepers, and we discuss things.

I know these people as mates and aquaintances.

So if Western people don't live there it's hardly surprising that they sell products to satisfy their customers?

If 'Christians' don't have shops there how do you know? If you visit the ASDA in Dewsbury, a town with a high Asian population, you'll see many customers who appear to be Asian, shopping to their hearts content.

What does that mean? It seems you have an issue with Muslims, without any evidence that they have a problem with you other than your own prejudice.

You are most definitly barking up the wrong tree my friend, in fact to the point of hilarity.

You are most definitly barking up the wrong tree my friend, in fact to the point of hilarity.

We will look after our own
if you do not mind.

Oh so you're a Muslim? I apologise for misunderstanding your previous contributions.

In what city is Park Ward?

Not Sheffield. See post #18 on http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=856509&highlight=constituencies; that lists all current wards of The Sheffield City Council's district, and none is now called 'Park'. Nor is there any longer a 'Park' constituency- but, in Fred Mulley's time, there was: http://uk.ask.com/wiki/Sheffield_Park_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

And are replaced by shops selling exactly the same things plus other things that the original community never had a chance to buy.

What would you prefer, a shop that just sold meat and potato pies or a shop that sold meat and potato pies AND vegetable samosas?

John X

I don't live in an area like that so it doesn't matter to me. I was mentioning how an area can change. This may be a benefit to the new community but not to the original one. There's no traditional English shops at Page Hall any more, but there's still a traditional, long standing community. For them, because they no longer have a butchers, bakers and Super Market, the changes have been negative...

Not everybody like samosas, especially elderly people who are more set in there ways....

As I remember Page Hall.

DIY shop - Gone, now a Asian Grocers.

Chemist - Gone - Now a Indian Take Away.

Davis - Gone - Now a Take Away.

Hair Dressers - Gone. Now a Asian clothing shop.

Bill Beevers - Gone. Now a Asian Shop.

Supermarket - Gone. Now an Asian shop.

Traditional Fish and Chip Shop. Gone. Now a Asian Take away.

Tobaconists - Gone. Now an Asian Shop.

Mc Gregors - Gone Now an Asian Shop.

Green Grocers - Gone now an Asian Shop.

In fact every shop has gone and been completely changed.

There's nothing wrong with market forces dictating what a shop sells. But there aren't any traditional English shops there any more.

No doubt there will be howls they can use the new shops. They can. But, as claimed earlier, the new community didn't use the existing shops, that's why they closed and the long standing community has diminished so their costumer base disappeared as well.

There's nothing wrong with new residents opening shops to serve the local community, but people, especially elderly people, like things as they were. They like their local pork butchers or to go to the local hairdressers, they can't now.

IMO its a unavoidable negative result of change that's happened too fast..:D

Archived