Its official, we're a christian country

I don't live in an area like that so it doesn't matter to me. I was mentioning how an area can change. This may be a benefit to the new community but not to the original one. There's no traditional English shops at Page Hall any more, but there's still a traditional, long standing community. For them, because they no longer have a butchers, bakers and Super Market, the changes have been negative...

Not everybody like samosas, especially elderly people who are more set in there ways....

As I remember Page Hall.

DIY shop - Gone, now a Asian Grocers.

Chemist - Gone - Now a Indian Take Away.

Davis - Gone - Now a Take Away.

Hair Dressers - Gone. Now a Asian clothing shop.

Bill Beevers - Gone. Now a Asian Shop.

Supermarket - Gone. Now an Asian shop.

Traditional Fish and Chip Shop. Gone. Now a Asian Take away.

Tobaconists - Gone. Now an Asian Shop.

Mc Gregors - Gone Now an Asian Shop.

Green Grocers - Gone now an Asian Shop.

In fact every shop has gone and been completely changed.

There's nothing wrong with market forces dictating what a shop sells. But there aren't any traditional English shops there any more.

No doubt there will be howls they can use the new shops. They can. But, as claimed earlier, the new community didn't use the existing shops, that's why they closed and the long standing community has diminished so their costumer base disappeared as well.

There's nothing wrong with new residents opening shops to serve the local community, but people, especially elderly people, like things as they were. They like their local pork butchers or to go to the local hairdressers, they can't now.

IMO its a unavoidable negative result of change that's happened too fast..:D

Here's a list of shops on Page Hall Road catering for most of the needs of the local community.

http://www.sheffield.org.uk/street/Page_Hall_Road/

In addition just around the corner is a retail butcher, and a Tesco mini supermarket.

I don't live in an area like that so it doesn't matter to me. I was mentioning how an area can change. This may be a benefit to the new community but not to the original one. There's no traditional English shops at Page Hall any more, but there's still a traditional, long standing community. For them, because they no longer have a butchers, bakers and Super Market, the changes have been negative...

Not everybody like samosas, especially elderly people who are more set in there ways....

As I remember Page Hall.

DIY shop - Gone, now a Asian Grocers.

Chemist - Gone - Now a Indian Take Away.

Davis - Gone - Now a Take Away.

Hair Dressers - Gone. Now a Asian clothing shop.

Bill Beevers - Gone. Now a Asian Shop.

Supermarket - Gone. Now an Asian shop.

Traditional Fish and Chip Shop. Gone. Now a Asian Take away.

Tobaconists - Gone. Now an Asian Shop.

Mc Gregors - Gone Now an Asian Shop.

Green Grocers - Gone now an Asian Shop.

In fact every shop has gone and been completely changed.

There's nothing wrong with market forces dictating what a shop sells. But there aren't any traditional English shops there any more.

No doubt there will be howls they can use the new shops. They can. But, as claimed earlier, the new community didn't use the existing shops, that's why they closed and the long standing community has diminished so their costumer base disappeared as well.

There's nothing wrong with new residents opening shops to serve the local community, but people, especially elderly people, like things as they were. They like their local pork butchers or to go to the local hairdressers, they can't now.

IMO its a unavoidable negative result of change that's happened too fast..:D

I think you're just hacked off that it isn't the sixties any more.

Here's a list of shops on Page Hall Road catering for most of the needs of the local community.

http://www.sheffield.org.uk/street/Page_Hall_Road/

In addition just around the corner is a retail butcher, and a Tesco mini supermarket.

You don't know the area very well. Some of those are a while away. Tesco's is about half a mile at Fir Vale some of the others are at Owler Lane. The list is hardly a replacement for what was once a thriving shopping area. I note that you didn't comment on the point I was making. Which is that many people who have lived there all their lives have lost their traditional shops, The area has changed too quickly, pub gone, shops closed. ....:suspect::D

You don't know the area very well. Some of those are a while away. Tesco's is about half a mile at Fir Vale some of the others are at Owler Lane. The list is hardly a replacement for what was once a thriving shopping area. I note that you didn't comment on the point I was making. Which is that many people who have lived there all their lives have lost their traditional shops, The area has changed too quickly, pub gone, shops closed. ....:suspect::D

Well I do know the area well Frank, I lived on Skinnerthorpe Road when I was a kid. Yes, the areas changed, but so has Broomhill, Ecclesall Road and most other areas in Sheffield I can think of.

The traditional shops you refer to have been replaced by shops offering a wide variety of produce including 'traditional' goods..would you believe I once saw a Muslim eating a jacket potato with cottage cheese? Shock horror!

The Tesco is still 'local', you could hardly describe 1/2 a mile as any distance at all, and it certainly sells more than the petrol station that used to be on that site.

Good Evening,

Many of you seem to be mixing up Christianity with the Church of England.

Christianity means following the teachings of Christ.

C of E is only involved with getting Henry VIII a divorce and enriching him by stealing the contents of all the Abbeys around England

I reckon you're a born again poster. Just bedding yourself in and then you'll start...:hihi:

Well I do know the area well Frank, I lived on Skinnerthorpe Road when I was a kid. Yes, the areas changed, but so has Broomhill, Ecclesall Road and most other areas in Sheffield I can think of in Sheffield.

The traditional shops you refer to have been replaced by shops offering a wide variety of produce including 'traditional' goods..would you believe I once saw a Muslim eating a jacket potato with cottage cheese? Shock horror!

The Tesco is still 'local', you could hardly describe 1/2 a mile as any distance at all, and it certainly sells more than the petrol station that used to be on that site.

Well Budgie's pet shops definitely gone....:hihi: You must have gone to Earl Marshal / Owler Lane, how old are you, I reckon I'll know you...That would be funny...:hihi:

Well Budgie's pet shops definitely gone....:hihi: You must have gone to Earl Marshal / Owler Lane, how old are you, I reckon I'll know you...That would be funny...:hihi:

Bloody hell Frank, you must be my long lost brother :hihi:

Archived