Its official, we're a christian country

What does 'Christian' mean exactly? How do you qualify? Having active religious faith, going to church regularly? Not accepting female clergy? Believing the world is only 3,000 years old? Avoiding shellfish and menstruating women? Or just watching 'Songs of Praise' now and then? There's plenty of wiggle room there.

This would be Judaism and Islam (in part) as Christians have no forbidden foods - Christ said that all foods were ok...

I would imagine that anyone who has been baptised and/or confirmed in any Christian faith/sect would come under the Christian banner, regardless of their attendance at mass/services/meetings...

Of course, the bulk of the churches who make up Christianity allow female clergy, so not too sure what your point is there? Christianity isn't simply the Catholic Church you know - there are Methodists etc too...

Personally, I like diversity.

Personally I can't understand anyone who doesn't like diversity.

I was called a racist by some clown on here last year, for saying it would be really boring if all you saw was white faces everywhere.

Do people cook the same dinner every night? Do people have the same wallpaper in every room in their house? Do people wear the same clothes every time they go out?

Of course not, so why shouldn't diversity apply to people? :confused:

John X

Richard Littlejohn, I might have known.

It all depends on what definitions you accept. Littlejohn clearly has his agenda, which is to prove that anyone not white/straight are aberrations the UK would be better without. Oh, and that the BBC are evil. All of them. Even the typists.

What does 'Christian' mean exactly? How do you qualify? Having active religious faith, going to church regularly? Not accepting female clergy? Believing the world is only 3,000 years old? Avoiding shellfish and menstruating women? Or just watching 'Songs of Praise' now and then? There's plenty of wiggle room there.

As for the gay stats, Littlejohn's take is clearly driven by his revulsion at the idea of men's sexuality, not homosexuality per se. The thing about surveys, even anonymous ones, is that people will not necessarily be honest. There may well be plenty more who would identify as gay/bi/transgender if the forces of conservative culture in the UK weren't so vocal and ranged against their sexuality. Perhaps those answering the question don't *want* to be identified as 'homosexual', even if functionally they are. The technical term for this is 'internalised oppression'.

Personally, I like diversity. It improves our culture, it adds to it. Despite the bizarre theories of the BNP, there is no state of cultural grace that we can retreat to, we have always been a mongrel race, and as with all mongrels, that is and continues to be our strength.

Excellent post.

Whilst I like diversity and difference, I also like shared values.

I have never met somebody whose sexuality is different to mine have different values as a result. I have however met many people who have let their values be determined by their political or religious affiliations. Richard Littlejohn is a good example.

Diverse yes please, divisive no thank you.

The Office of National Statistics reports that 70% of the population thinks they're Christian. That kind of blows out of the water the BBC and their daft ban on BC and AD.

There's also far less gays in the village than some would report as well. Only 1.3% of men reported they were gay. Stonewall have claimed 27%. There's nothing wrong with being gay but we need honesty. They inflate the figures to justify their existence and to ensure the equal opportunities maniac inflict their daft ideologies on us all.

When will the left wake up and stop all the misinformation.

What's next the revelation that the indigenous English are white? :hihi:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2043482/Whatever-BBC-say-Britain-mainly-white-Christian-straight.html

The BBC haven't banned BC/AD.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/content/response/useofdatetermsbcandad

jb

I would imagine that anyone who has been baptised and/or confirmed in any Christian faith/sect would come under the Christian banner, regardless of their attendance at mass/services/meetings...

Confirmed[1] I'd agree with but not baptised. Most people are baptised when a few months old and I don't think that counts as an indication of faith.

If you take out those who were confirmed later in life and those who explicitly reject Christianity, you're left with a large group of people who often aren't religious but when it comes to filling in forms may think, "well I was baptised so I suppose I'm a Christian". This is why there are arguments about the questions on religion in surveys.

[1] Confirmations are typically done when people are in their early teens - before they have really started to question what their parents have told them. I suspect if confirmations had to happen no earlier than 16, there would be less confirmations.

"It's official, we're a christian country".

Well, yes, but that's not news. The Church of England is established by law and has been ever since Henry VIII. Queen Elizabeth II is its head. Didn't you know? It's been in all the papers (and on the coinage: 'FD' = Fidei Defensor. or Defender of the Faith).

Confirmed[1] I'd agree with but not baptised. Most people are baptised when a few months old and I don't think that counts as an indication of faith.

If you take out those who were confirmed later in life and those who explicitly reject Christianity, you're left with a large group of people who often aren't religious but when it comes to filling in forms may think, "well I was baptised so I suppose I'm a Christian". This is why there are arguments about the questions on religion in surveys.

[1] Confirmations are typically done when people are in their early teens - before they have really started to question what their parents have told them. I suspect if confirmations had to happen no earlier than 16, there would be less confirmations.

Totally agree. I was baptised as a baby, not because my parents were religious (they weren't) but because it was expected, as tradition.

If you had asked me in my youth what faith I am, I would probably have said C of E, even though I didn't paticularly believe in any gods, I just assumed that's what I was because I knew I wasn't any other faith. It wasn't until my teenage years that I ever gave much thought to religion, since then I have always wondered what convinces people of their faith. Nobody has ever explained it to me, with the exception of Grahame/Agbus who recently said it was because he read about it and listened to the message.

I expect many white English folk would tick the Christian box without putting any thought to it much in the same way as I would have when I was a kid.

I doubt this will be enough for Frank Sidney...

A note to any Daily Mail readers out there - if you read a story about something being 'banned' its unlikely to be true.

Furthermore, repeating these lies even when you know them to be untrue just makes you look like an idiot.

Archived