How to get through a funeral?

Try not to worry, it's perfectly acceptable and normal to cry at a funeral. I went to one recently and spent the entire service crying and dabbing my eyes. I managed, only just, to hold it together as we were thanked by the family upon leaving, then wailed in the car all the way to the wake. It is not weak to cry at a funeral, it's human.

Sorry for your loss.

thanks i cant stop crying at the moment feel numb got to wait 2 weeks for the funeral,

when iv cried i go bright red and puffy eyes lol

wish i was stonger

It's not a sign of weakness to cry when someone dies. Everyone deals with grief differently, if crying works for you then you must do it, that's far healthier than trying to bottle it up. There is no right or wrong way to grieve, don't be so hard on yourself.

Aww you are allowed to be sad,all i can tell you is i lost my nan,mum,dad an niece in a short space of time and although i still cry most of the time the happy times overcome the sad.Theres days i still cry and i miss them every single day but you learn to cope with it.

Theres no right and wrong on grief everyone deals with it differently as for the funeral give them what they would have wanted and be proud you did.

Pm me if you need anything as sometimes it helps to pour your feelings out to a stranger if that makes sense xx

During the service i cried like a little girl.

I went to my grandmother's funeral last week and cried like a big grown woman, complete with sobbing and snot :)

I hope you're feeling at least a little less worried about this all now jennycakes. I'm sorry to hear that your family are going through it at all.

I don't know how old you are Jenny, but my first funeral was my Grams when I was 18 - as soon as I saw the hearse I just fell to pieces. That was over 20 years ago.

From then on, I've always tried to focus on a humorous moment that I shared with the person - to the point where sometimes I shut off from listening to what the vicar is saying, purely selfishly, so that I can kind of distract myself in a way from the sombre occasion.

Take a couple of hankies, wear lots of waterproof mascara but more importantly, don't be afraid at all of sobbing your heart out. There's nothing wrong with that at all and there's certainly no shame in it.

X x

It sounds as though the deceased was very close to you and I send you my very genuine condolences.

I have attended quite a few funerals over the years including one for a child and trust me when I say that we all handle these things differently. Some are the picture of calm composure throughout....not me, I cry . If you cry you will not be the only one I am sure....take tissues galore and don't worry about crying.

I hope the funeral goes as well as it possibly can, for you. Just don't fret about your emotions:- everyone else there will more than likely be battling with theirs, too.

As others have said, if you want to cry, then... cry. That's the whole point of a funeral, really, to have a weep, and to bid farewell to your loved-one, and remembering their life and achievements.

Archived