Does Anyone Course Fish In the River Don??

old tup

When we were kids way back in the 50s we lived very close to the Don down Birley Meadows and we used to take our nets to see what we could catch.The river was highly polluted so the only things we caught were in the outlet tunnel that ran into the Don from the Five Arches pond,newts,sticklebacks and tadpoles and that was it.I was wondering what species live in the river now and does anyone fish it now everything has been cleaned up,I would be interested to find out can anyone help?.:help::love:

When we were kids way back in the 50s we lived very close to the Don down Birley Meadows and we used to take our nets to see what we could catch.The river was highly polluted so the only things we caught were in the outlet tunnel that ran into the Don from the Five Arches pond,newts,sticklebacks and tadpoles and that was it.I was wondering what species live in the river now and does anyone fish it now everything has been cleaned up,I would be interested to find out can anyone help?.:help::love:

Today its got pretty much everything, If you call Sheffield and above the upper river then you can expect Grayling, trout, dace chub and the odd roach, below Sheffield its up for turning just about anything up-- down at Doncaster its even turned up salmon

Last time I was down that way I caught a couple of trout on the fly at the bottom of the weir back of Hillfoot school.

• 3 months later...
Last time I was down that way I caught a couple of trout on the fly at the bottom of the weir back of Hillfoot school.

anybody got any updates on fishing in the don in sheffield please ?i went today at the back of the wicker just for an hour to use up some maggots & caught a trout & a grayling ,the water is running a bit high at the moment.

plenty of fish in the don under the stocksbridge bye-pass opposite side of road to tin mill ponds at deepcar.

SHOULD HAVE KEPT THAT QUIET...:roll:DONS FULL OF FISH INCLUDING SPECIMIN PIKE ROUND ROTHERHAM TOWN CENTRE.

Archived