City's influence over Conservatives laid bare by research into donations

No wonder the ConDems are in the pockets of the bankers, and dragging their feet over banking reforms! The Cons have recieved £6M from City firms in the last year:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/sep/30/city-conservatives-donations

From a number of different firms and donors, and pales into insignificance when compared to the £11m received by Labour from just one of it's union donors (Unite).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/7377307/Britains-biggest-union-takes-over-Labour-after-11m-donations.html

From a number of different firms and donors, and pales into insignificance when compared to the £11m received by Labour from just one of it's union donors (Unite).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/7377307/Britains-biggest-union-takes-over-Labour-after-11m-donations.html

The number of companies donating to the Tories pales into insignificance when compared to the number of companies whose workforce is represented by Unite.

The number of companies donating to the Tories pales into insignificance when compared to the number of companies whose workforce is represented by Unite.

Lol now that is tenuous, so more 'companies' are in fact donating to Labour simply by virtue of their workers donating to Labour via their trade union subs?

Unite doesn't represent companies, it represents workers.

Lol now that is tenuous, so more 'companies' are in fact donating to Labour simply by virtue of their workers donating to Labour via their trade union subs?

Unite doesn't represent companies, it represents workers.

What a joke.

Represent workers my a**e. All they do is take subs and do nothing with them whilst a few overpaid union executives and senior reps go on tv spouting a few soundbites to stroke their own ego. Any 'support' or 'advice' provided from a rep is usually of a very generic and not very helpful nature. A regurgitation of something they quickly searched on google is about as much as they will do.

10 years I worked with the civil service and never used unions once. If I had a problem I sorted it out myself. I completely ignored all strikes because they were a complete waste of time and refused to participate in any union activities which were nothing more than a power trip for our local rep to try and show how much influence he had......(not).

Any action they decided to take was usually of detriment to the business with little or no consideration of business continuity, finances or impact of customers. They wonder why heavy unionised businesses failed eh?

I have since worked as an employee and employer in the private sector at firms who dont recognise trade unions. Amazingly issues still get dealt with and our internal staff representatives, confidential staff support service and online forums/ These services provide all the voice we need with the same effect of any union. Bonus is it doesn't cost sub every month.

The difference is that the banks have almost destroyed the global economy.

Arguably, breaking the links between banks and politicians is far more important for all of us than taking on the unions.

Glass houses are very delicate. We're not likely to see the Shadow Cabinet moaning about party donors.From the newly ennobled government IT provider Alan Sugar to the Capita, the provider of arms length services to government.

Rather than acting like over overenthusiastic puppies, political foot soldiers should grow up and realise that sometimes people are in the same room but are still entitled to hold different opinions.

Rather than acting like over overenthusiastic puppies, political foot soldiers should grow up and realise that sometimes people are in the same room but are still entitled to hold different opinions.

That is so funny. You just described yourself. :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

But you make an important point about glass houses. Anybody arguing against this from a Labour perspective has to be aware that the two main parties, in their own ways, have close connections to the bankers. Political donations are just one facet of the relationship between bankers and politicians. Many ex-Labour politicians go on to lucrative roles in the City and they would never get into those roles if their political behaviour was not favourable to the banks.

Even the LibDems who claim to be in nobody's pocket had parts of their conference sponsored by CitiGroup and Lloyds bank.

Archived