City's influence over Conservatives laid bare by research into donations

Au contraire Blackadder.

The unions' influence over Labour has caused more damage to Britain's industries and hence GDP over recent decades than we can count. I'd say it's a fair response.

With militant unions, communist shop stewards and then the thatcher government, British industry didn't stand a chance :(

Au contraire Blackadder.

The unions' influence over Labour has caused more damage to Britain's industries and hence GDP over recent decades than we can count. I'd say it's a fair response.

Nice try. You think the unions currently pose a greater threat to our economy than the banks? The unions were seriously depowered in the 80s. Since then the banks have gained in power immensely and the damage they have caused is plain to see. You seem to have a weird alternative history hardwired into your head.

The Labour/union angle just isn't an effective counter-argument when discussing the Tory/bank connections. It's lazy, unimaginative and straight out the Daily Mail. Get over it.

Nice try. You think the unions currently pose a greater threat to our economy than the banks? The unions were seriously depowered in the 80s. Since then the banks have gained in power immensely and the damage they have caused is plain to see. You seem to have a weird alternative history hardwired into your head.

The Labour/union angle just isn't an effective counter-argument when discussing the Tory/bank connections. It's lazy, unimaginative and straight out the Daily Mail. Get over it.

I kind of agree with you here; lets just say that the communist unions and the bankers have both played their part in destroying this once truly great country.

With militant unions, communist shop stewards and then the thatcher government, British industry didn't stand a chance :(

Arguably unions are good for an economy. Germany has a highly unionised workforce with high producutivity and generally good relations between workers and employers.

A study by the World Bank backed this up

World Bank - Unions

I kind of agree with you here; lets just say that the communist unions and the bankers have both played their part in destroying this once truly great country.

I would say in this country the problem has been an adversarial approach to industrial relations from both sides. And that has been immensely damaging in the past. It isn't like that at all in many other countries.

But it's hardly relevant now and not the greatest threat we are facing.

Can you think of a single business that grew with the financial help of unions?

On the other hand we would have no economy and no large business without banks. Banks lend money so that business can exist and expand. If I come up with a fantastic product that could be sold to everyone on the planet and employ thousands of people, I would ask a bank for help to start the business, not a union.

Banks have their problems but they do more good than harm and life would be very different without them.

Can you think of a single business that grew with the financial help of unions?

On the other hand we would have no economy and no large business without banks. Banks lend money so that business can exist and expand. If I come up with a fantastic product that could be sold to everyone on the planet and employ thousands of people, I would ask a bank for help to start the business, not a union.

Banks have their problems but they do more good than harm and life would be very different without them.

That is a really bizarre post. The aim of unions is not to provide finance. And where did I say we shouldn't have banks And where did I say unions should replace banks? :huh:

Nice try. You think the unions currently pose a greater threat to our economy than the banks? The unions were seriously depowered in the 80s. Since then the banks have gained in power immensely and the damage they have caused is plain to see.

Please explain the immense damaging power that the banks wield.

Archived