City's influence over Conservatives laid bare by research into donations

So which party was it that knighted Fred Goodwin and was still being advised by him AFTER RBS had had to be bailed out? It's alright saying the Tories only represent the rich but Labour were no better. Blair hasn't exactly been spending his time with the downtrodden, choosing to work instead for JP Morgan Chase. And at least Cameron doesn't spend half his time in Texas. If you're trying to put clear water between Labour and Tories at least make it more than a trickle.

As far as I am aware Blair is no longer in government. Labour was wrong to be as mesmerised by the bankers, but after the economy had be skewed in their direction for so long (at the expense of manufacturing) and when the City was making so much money they felt that it didn't need to change. Problem is, it was all built on sand!

As far as I am aware Blair is no longer in government. Labour was wrong to be as mesmerised by the bankers, but after the economy had be skewed in their direction for so long (at the expense of manufacturing) and when the City was making so much money they felt that it didn't need to change. Problem is, it was all built on sand!

There is still a big problem with Labour connections to the financial sector. It didn't stop when Blair went.

Blair is still very influential in the party and himself is a JP Morgan employee these days. He's not the only prominent Labour politician to have exited politics straight into a lucrative city role. And there will be many more.

No wonder the ConDems are in the pockets of the bankers, and dragging their feet over banking reforms! The Cons have recieved £6M from City firms in the last year:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/sep/30/city-conservatives-donations

Big deal.

Tories funded by big business

Shocking headline that will rock the very foundations of the UK.

Are we posting the ruddy obvious as news these days?

Big deal.

Tories funded by big business

Shocking headline that will rock the very foundations of the UK.

Are we posting the ruddy obvious as news these days?

It is a big deal actually. The Conservative's financial existence is dependent on organisations that need to be restructured, organisations that will resist any change and use their influence to do so - it's a massive conflict of interest.

Hi

We like to keep it real and keep it simple, fact!!!!

Both major pol parties depend on funds from those that expect favours in return, FACT

Simpel as that.

Thanks

Indeed. The point I'm making is that while it is wrong in both cases there is one major piece of reform that needs to take place - banks. Unions can be sorted later but the priority is the long term stability of the economy and dealing with unions first is ignoring the biggest risks we face.

Where have you been for the last three years Tone?

Don't make yourself look like a fool. I mean that sincerely so I hope no offence is taken.

I never take offence when people don't understand.

So, come on, please explain the 'immense damaging power' that "bankers" wield. It's a central plank of your discourse and I think it's only right that you should explain in more depth so that everyone understands the context of your posts.

I'm especially interested in how you might (or might not) think that banks are more powerful than governments, lawmakers and policy setters.

I never take offence when people don't understand.

So, come on, please explain the 'immense damaging power' that "bankers" wield. It's a central plank of your discourse and I think it's only right that you should explain in more depth so that everyone understands the context of your posts.

I'm especially interested in how you might (or might not) think that banks are more powerful than governments, lawmakers and policy setters.

To be fair I think the vast majority of people will understand the context. It's not mine or anybody else's fault if you don't.

Archived