Help regarding gumtree ad

Ive just put a car for sale on gumtree and had a caller asking about it was on phone for like half an hour asking about the car (he asked if he could call on my landline number as mobile was expensive) so i gave him the number, then he said to save him the car and he will transfer 100 pounds into my paypal account and pay the rest after hes come to collect it.

does this sound dodgy to anyone should i give him my paypal acount details and let him have the car ???

forgot to mention he said he wanted to export it to cyprus and that he was from london.

thanks

Ive just put a car for sale on gumtree and had a caller asking about it was on phone for like half an hour asking about the car (he asked if he could call on my landline number as mobile was expensive) so i gave him the number, then he said to save him the car and he will transfer 100 pounds into my paypal account and pay the rest after hes come to collect it.

does this sound dodgy to anyone should i give him my paypal acount details and let him have the car ???

forgot to mention he said he wanted to export it to cyprus and that he was from london.

thanks

I take it you have not heard about the paypal scam then?

thanks

It didn't sound wrong until you mentioned he wanted to export it. Why would he bother even telling you such details? :suspect:

I wouldn't trust him but then again, i wouldn't trust anyone off Gumtree. I read too many horror stories.

TBH I use paypal a lot, for sending deposits and receiving them, a couple of dozen times a year maybe. Never had a problem. But I get your drift.

http://blog.gumtree.com/paypal-scam-alert/

and to be even more honest I didn't read the end bit of the original post.

I wont even deal with anyone with just "London" as a location on Gumtree or Egay.

Considering a car purchase requires the buyer to come and collect it, just clearly state that he has to come down and do the deal in person.

If he wants it that bad it will be an incentive for him to get the money - he could always use his credit card at a cash machine to get the deposit.

just tell him the magic words, "Cash on Collection Only" nothing else, dont hand nothing over untill the cash is in your hand, if he wants a test drive you and your parnter jump in with him or better yet you drive it around the block with him in the passenger seat (incase he's not insured)

Archived