Agency workers to have nearly the same rights as others

I reckon this will be the end of agency workers and agencies. Employers will be better off offering short term contracts to people instead.

The same rules will apply.

Or if they do employ agency staff they'll get rid of them before they are entitled to the same terms as permanent staff...and get another temp.

That's just a 12 week window

I ran a limited company and all my work was provided by agencies. This was not a bad thing because I got paid a lot more than the permanent staff. At one point I was working alongside permanent staff. I was earning 21 quid an hour and they were on 21,000 pa. So I was much better off...

It won't apply to people working through a limited company, so it doesn't really matter to IT contractors or others working as you just described.

"Agency bast@rds", the type of staff that can be fired for fun, being black, old etc.

The type of staff that get the work nobody else wants to do, and must do it, if they wish to be working the following night.

The type of staff who can be hired as and when needed, and sent home halfway through a shift. Predominantly foreign/young and unskilled. The type better off on the dole.

It's good to hear they get more rights, because I have seen a lot of them treat worse than ****.

I worked for agencies in industrial placements as a student, and would agree that your opinions are reasonably accurate for industrial temps 15 years ago, but temps of all catagories started to have more rights about 6/7 years ago, when it became that they were considered employees of their agency - this was a huge turning point, and one that it seems you may have missed? Your ideas have never been true of commercial/management temps though, and their rights were always the same as the industrial temps rights... It's just that unskilled people will always be treat worse than skilled in the workplace... Harsh, but true...

While I was there I was one of a very small handful of English agency staff, nearly all of the others were Polish and many of the permanent staff I found myself working with, at first, assumed I was Polish; they would speak to me slowly and loudly, and I would just nod and do as they said :hihi:

I kept this up for weeks until they realised I was having them on :hihi:

Just shows you how spiteful and nasty perm factory staff can be - Like a pack of dogs, at times!

I worked for agencies in industrial placements as a student, and would agree that your opinions are reasonably accurate for industrial temps 15 years ago, but temps of all catagories started to have more rights about 6/7 years ago, when it became that they were considered employees of their agency - this was a huge turning point, and one that it seems you may have missed? Your ideas have never been true of commercial/management temps though, and their rights were always the same as the industrial temps rights... It's just that unskilled people will always be treat worse than skilled in the workplace... Harsh, but true...

I saw these practices only 2 years ago. :|

You tend to find the people who want to stop agency workers having the same rights as permanent staff....are........staf who are permanent.

I think over the past few years (15 - 20 years) certain sections of the working with the easy hiring and firing of these workers.

With the cuts in jobs, and it being harder to get permanent work, I wonder if the people who support 'less rights' for agency workers, will themselves be happy to work without terms and condtions, knowing full well they could be out of a job the following day without warning.

I think you have to be careful what you wish for, and the things you support. One day, you yourself may be on the wrong end of shoddy working practices

No, employers. As it's much cheaper if they don't have to offer the same terms.

I can understand why.

Not saying it is wrong, however, sometimes in life the rug gets pulled from under your feet without warning and your life can unravel. Things that are beyond your control.

If its something you would not want for yourself, then don't support these practices for other people.

Archived