Mental hospitals -v- Care In the Community

Which do you think is better?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is better?

• Mental hospitals
    • Care In the Community

passive patients looked after by nurses in uniforms. He could never understand why the nurses had to wear uniforms on those kinds of wards.

So you could tell who was nurse/who was patient?

wheres the money going to come from ?

what money?

erm to run these places :loopy:

Is this an appropriate thread to use that smiley?

As i have already said, these places exist. Off the top of my head i can think of four "institutions" in Sheffield, they are already there so must be funded already

Is this an appropriate thread to use that smiley?

As i have already said, these places exist. Off the top of my head i can think of four "institutions" in Sheffield, they are already there so must be funded already

so what part from from post 1 didnt you understand "Is it time for a new generation of institutions that can cater for people with modern standards of care and medicine, but away from the general public" that to me means we need more . like i said whos going to pay for this with gov cuts as they are :huh:

so what part from from post 1 didnt you understand "Is it time for a new generation of institutions that can cater for people with modern standards of care and medicine, but away from the general public" that to me means we need more . like i said whos going to pay for this with gov cuts as they are :huh:

The OP appears to be written in the belief that since Middlewood closed there are no mental health units, and that care in the community is all thats offered. Units that are currently running are (or should be) using "modern standards of care and medicine".

So you could tell who was nurse/who was patient?

Well, it was just an anecdote really. When my dad lost his job when the hospital closed and he moved into managing a series of much smaller units in the community the staff did changeover to wearing civvies. I expect they still had some kind of badge.

middlewood hospital isnt closed, its moved into a new building about 50 yards away. and obviously isnt a big as the old hospital.

other than that, there are some people who could be managed in the community but there are some very very ill people that seriously need to be kept under lock and key (and i am really sorry to say that) but for their protection.

would love to say that they could be managed in an ideal world but some of these people forget to take their tablets for a day or 2 and beleive things we wouldnt dream about in our worst nightmare.

There needs to be a balance. My dad was a manager in one of the big old mental hospitals in the North West. They weren't always the nicest places but like you say for a lot of residents they became their home and they felt safe. The balance is to make these places a home without over-medicalising them - my dad always commented about wards full of long stay, passive patients looked after by nurses in uniforms. He could never understand why the nurses had to wear uniforms on those kinds of wards.
Absolutely. Over-medication is the easy route taken by staff who don't read into the patient's needs and aren't professional enough to make sure they provide a relaxing but stimulating environment for the people under their care to be happy and fulfilled. And as for uniforms, spot on - institutions do not have to be like prison camps, they can still be homely.

Mental health problems manifest in many ways, from family crisis to aggressive street drunks.

For sure, Middlewood Hospital and it's ilk weren't perfect 20 years ago but mental hospitals / institutions* generally ensured that folk were within a safe environment with dedicated staff and resources.

Is it time for a new generation of institutions that can cater for people with modern standards of care and medicine, but away from the general public?

*I'm using common vernacular for ease of understanding - don't use it as an excuse to get pointlessly offended.

This is why I'm glad I'm only in my mid 30s, back in the 60s and before, people like me, ie Autistic people would've been put in places like Middlewood Loony Bin, wrongly IMO.

Archived