March on London to protest against youth unemployment! Jarrow march 2011

it isn't the governments responsibilityto keep you housed and fed... it is your PARENTS responsibility.

As it is your parents who should encourage you to stay in school and get a good education - they should 'bribe' you if needs be, not the government with their EMA.

I disagree, my kids left school and work whilst their friends have degrees and don't work.

so your kids didn't get EMA to stay at school? That sort of makes your comment redundant.

Which part of, they left school and started work don’t you understand, there was no need to encourage them or bribe them to stay at school. They have both worked since the day they left school whilst many of their friends that were encouraged and bribed to stay in education don’t work.

They both started at the bottom of their chosen careers, studied in their own time at home and are both working their way up. They have no debt, money in the bank and can afford to do what they want.

Hence the reason I disagree with your assertion that parents should bribe or encourage their children to stay in education.

I just read back through this thread over a cup of tea, and can't quite come to terms with Chem1st's view of the world.

Property is theft, theft is property, nobody should own land, the people should own the land, then all the nonsense about refusing to accept that you can make money or run a business woithout owning land because you have to stand on some land or use a bicycle made from the land . . .

I've come across some misguided ideas, but this thread is way up there at the loony end.

No, I thought I'd prove it with a pretty picture as it would be easier for you to see with the help of a visual aid.

http://www.syngentafoundation.org/db/1/983.pdf

Seems to be rather specific to Indian farming. Is there any suggestion at all that it applies here or were you just hoping that it was true?

Don't get me wrong, it's nice that you found some evidence to share eventually, and it's more evidence than I have (since I never made an assertion I just didn't agree with yours). Shame it took so long after initially asking and isn't really applicable to the UK.

Seems to be rather specific to Indian farming. Is there any suggestion at all that it applies here or were you just hoping that it was true?

Don't get me wrong, it's nice that you found some evidence to share eventually, and it's more evidence than I have (since I never made an assertion I just didn't agree with yours). Shame it took so long after initially asking and isn't really applicable to the UK.

If the argument is about which is more productive a smallholding or intensive farming this may help.

productivity

Smallholdings are normally more productive per acre than larger farms – because they are farmed more intensively, and often mixed, having more than one thing on the same patch of land

World hunger best cured by small-scale agriculture

A move from industrial farming towards local food projects is our healthiest, most sustainable choice, says Worldwatch Institute

Archived