March on London to protest against youth unemployment! Jarrow march 2011

Land efficiency...

Now your on about the amount of labour used to till the land.

No, I'm on about the amount of food that would be produced and how your idea of deliberately reducing efficiency in order to use more labour would simply leave us with insufficient food.

So what is it?

Land efficient or Labour efficient?

I've already said 'allotments are more land efficient than farms, farms are labour efficient'.

You've said it, it doesn't make it true.

Of course we could use surplus labour to improve land efficiency.

No, we couldn't. Throwing extra labour at the system wouldn't improve the amount of food produced.

No, I'm on about the amount of food that would be produced and how your idea of deliberately reducing efficiency in order to use more labour would simply leave us with insufficient food.

You've said it, it doesn't make it true.

No, we couldn't. Throwing extra labour at the system wouldn't improve the amount of food produced.

Fool.

Farms are labour efficient.

Allotments are land efficient.

You can improve the land efficiency by using more labour.

You can improve labour efficiency by using less labour.

We have a surplus of labour and a lack of land.

We need to grow more on less land.

And we have a surplus of labour. to grow more on less land we will require more labour. The solution is simple.

F

You can improve the land efficiency by using more labour.

We have a surplus of labour and a lack of land.

We need to grow more on less land.

And we have a surplus of labour. to grow more on less land we will require more labour. The solution is simple.

Despite you repeating this several times it still isn't true.

Touché, you really won that one.

Suppose;

1 man one acre, labour intensive. 1 tonne.

1 man, 10 acres, labour efficient. 8 tonnes.

With 10 men and 10 acres, what is the most efficient* way to produce food;

a) Labour efficient

b) Land efficient

c) Maximum food production.

d) Maximum food production assuming only 5 of the men can work on the land.

Suppose that you stop just making up numbers though? Suppose that we look at the reality of modern farming and realise that 1 man, 10 acres and modern farming produces more than 10 men, 1 acre and allotment style gardening.

Making up numbers will not make labour intensive farming more productive.

Suppose that you stop just making up numbers though? Suppose that we look at the reality of modern farming and realise that 1 man, 10 acres and modern farming produces more than 10 men, 1 acre and allotment style gardening.

Making up numbers will not make labour intensive farming more productive.

I'll provide evidence after I have set the common sense example ;)

1 man farming 10 acres using modern farming methods (labour efficient) will yield more food than 10 men farming one acre. But it won't yield more than 10 men farming 1 acre each.

"1 acre, 1 man" or "1 acre, 2 man", which is more land efficient?

I'm not on about employing people for the sake of it.

We have a surplus of labour.

We have a lack of land.

Modern farming is more concerned about reducing the cost of labour than it is improving the efficiency of land use.

You need to provide some evidence now, because you keep repeating that farming smaller portions with more people produces more, but so far it's just an assertion that I disagree with.

Consider this modern building.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/03b0f876-ea83-11e0-b0f5-00144feab49a.html#axzz1aa31SPDI

You must think farming larger portions with less labour allows for increased production per unit of land. :hihi:

Perhaps we could extrapolate your idea, and having nobody farming in the entire universe :hihi:

Archived