Was 1989 the best year to be aged 18-22 years old?

One of the things that does strike me about that era, especially the youth era, is the smiling faces and people seem happy. Look at the video downloaded and you have a good looking, crazy bloke looking as though he is having a good night out.

He isn't totally hammered, or looks as though he is about to vomit and lie in a pool of urine.

I accept there was trouble, but this was sorted out generally by 2 fat blokes in the middle of the dance floor.

Again as someone mentioned, cheap drinks. I can remember going to Benidorm in 93 and only paying 0.50p for a pint :o

everyone is going to think the era they grew up in was the best its just how it is, i personally think you are alright up until about 2005, anything after that has been quite dreadful, raves are small super clubs have vanished cant think of a band what has blown people away and commercial music is ****ing horrendous and the biggest EDM genre is dubstep which has no memorable status at all. I grew up in the late 90s early 2000 with hardcore then trance then hardhouse, i would have liked to be around in the late 60s and 80 and been able to hit clubs in the early 90s but im happy with the super clubs i was hammering

Can... worms... open... why supposedly?

jb

Although this is another subject, Neil Armstring did not land on the moon, because its clearly someones bedroom and someone has splashed white paint on a black background.

Plus you can't see the moon in the background

I hit the clubs from about the mid 90s.

I would love to have started clubbing about 8 years earlier (1987 time), to me that generation had it all, decent variety of music (indie, dance, acid, some good stuff in charts).

Although people got drunk I can't remember people getting to the point where they were lying on the floor in a pool of vomit

I hit the clubs from about the mid 90s.

I would love to have started clubbing about 8 years earlier (1987 time), to me that generation had it all, decent variety of music (indie, dance, acid, some good stuff in charts).

Although people got drunk I can't remember people getting to the point where they were lying on the floor in a pool of vomit

Believe me, it happened. I can remember being in Rebels around '89, when some lad had enough Newcastle Brown and decided to spray the club, only for some even drunken moshers to turn it into a slide, to see who get the longest distance.

I retired in 1988.

in 1989 I had 2 jobs. One of which was selling ice ceram at a Professional Baseball stadium.

The ice cream was sold before the game started ... I watched a whole season's games for nowt.

'88/'89 was as good a time as any.

How old is 'young' anyway?

I turned 18 in January 1989, and what a time that was!

The Bangles were in the charts with 'Eternal Flame'.

The Soviet Bloc was disintegrating, the only people still supporting Marxism were the Chinese, the North Koreans and far-leftist middle class British totalitarian types.

'Press Gang' was on the TV.

We had a lovely summer that year, with 'Fuzzbox' singing 'Pink, Pink Sunshine'. The Reynolds Girls ('We Don't Want to Jack') was the anthem of the summer.

Yes. 1989 was a great time to be 18.

I turned 18 in 1980 but would have preferred it to have been mid 70's personally because I really think the 70's was the best time for having a laugh. Silly clothes, and some great music about what do I think about the 80's rubbish music didn't really like any of it much. Even the rock was rubbish all that AOR (over the top tie some scarves round my legs think I look cool crap).

Archived