Hathersage Open Air Pool Memories!!

old tup

I,ve just been watching Look North they had a piece about Hathersage Open Air Pool and it stirred a memory of way back in the early 60s in the summer time.I was 17yrs old and worked at the Don Bakery as a driver-salesman,we started early and finished work at lunch time,the drivers and van lads were all great mates and every Wednesday we would all take our swimming gear to work and around 5 or 6 car loads of us would take off to the Hathersage pool.It always seemed to be warm and sunny,the place was packed, lots of females single and yummy mummies which we did our best to chat up with varying degrees of success.We would stay until the sun went down,then set off home stopping off for a pint on the way,happy carefree days I had forgotten all about!.:love::D:D

Earlier this year I went to Hathersage to try and find the wooden hut we stayed in a couple of weekends in the 1950s. After a lot of walking and searching I think I found the ruins of it near a farm at the top of the hills..

I also revisited the swimming baths which have been modernised.

I went to Hathersage pool in the 1940s as a child with my parents and afterwards into what I remember as King George playing fields, one day whilst we were there it rained very heavily and a man let us shelter in his garden shed, I don't think that would happen today. My all-time favourite pool was the large outdoor pool at Millhouses where I "lived" when I was young ~ happy days.

Archived