The English flag: Perception and propriety

Haven't been on here for a while but it seems a good place to ask this question.

How do you perceive the English flag?

In Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland the respective flags are flown and displayed all over the place. However, I'm not sure that the same rules apply to the English flag.

Let's say you came across me in the street and I was wearing an English flag. For example, on a pair of athletic trainers, where it just happens to fit the colour scheme way better than the union flag. What would be your first thought?

- That person must be a massive racist?

- Oh no a football hooligan?

- This guy is English?

- Something else? (Be nice)

Haven't been on here for a while but it seems a good place to ask this question.

In Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland the respective flags are flown and displayed all over the place. However, I'm not sure that the same rules apply to the English flag.

Let's say you came across me in the street and I was wearing an English flag. For example, on a pair of athletic trainers, where it just happens to fit the colour scheme way better than the union flag. What would be your first thought?

- This guy is English?

I'd think there's a man wearing my trainers :thumbsup:

Tricky one. I do like it's clean simplicity and I do feel myself to be English first and British second, but we are in a union with the other home nations so probably best kept for English sporting occaisions and St Georges day while ever that union lasts in favour of the Union Flag.

Tricky one. I do like it's clean simplicity and I do feel myself to be English first and British second, but we are in a union with the other home nations so probably best kept for English sporting occaisions and St Georges day while ever that union lasts in favour of the Union Flag.

So why don't the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish display the Union Flag on non-sporting occasions?

What about those of us who are English and perhaps quietly proud of that on some level, but completely uninterested in football, rugby and cricket, or indeed the concept of watching sports? (We do exist, I didn't make that up)

I agree it's tricky :)

So why don't the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish display the Union Flag on non-sporting occasions?

What about those of us who are English and perhaps quietly proud of that on some level, but completely uninterested in football, rugby and cricket, or indeed the concept of watching sports? (We do exist, I didn't make that up)

I agree it's tricky :)

A large chunk of the Northern Irish do (the ones who aren't waving irish triocolours), the Welsh to be fair aren't represnted on the Union Flag so i can excuse them not getting enthused about it and the scots..well, they're scottish so they do their own thing, doesn't mean we have to copy them.

I'd certainly never look down on any Englishman who chose to fly the cross of St George at any time, just my own personal take on when it is appropriate for me to desport it.

The reason is that anyone displaying pride in being English is considered a bit of a nutter.

I am proud in many ways, to be English, of course I am old enough to remember when this was a country to be proud of, before package holiday makers showed us up everywhere.

But more deep seated is the fact we do not own our own country.

It is owned by the House of Saxe-Coburg, latterly known as Windsor.

Every occasion, no matter what is, revolves around them.

Even something as solemn as remembering our War dead at the Cenotaph has them centre stage.

Until we are rid of this set up, it will never be possible to be truly proud, and claim this as our country.

- This guy is English?

I wouldn't have any thoughts about you; you would just be another individual expressing your freedom to wear what you like.

The reason is that anyone displaying pride in being English is considered a bit of a nutter.

I am proud in many ways, to be English, of course I am old enough to remember when this was a country to be proud of, before package holiday makers showed us up everywhere.

But more deep seated is the fact we do not own our own country.

It is owned by the House of Saxe-Coburg, latterly known as Windsor.

Every occasion, no matter what is, revolves around them.

Even something as solemn as remembering our War dead at the Cenotaph has them centre stage.

Until we are rid of this set up, it will never be possible to be truly proud, and claim this as our country.

Unless of course that person is a royalist

Archived