Amanda knox trial

Interesting discussion here from today's Woman's Hour. I can't say whether she is guilty or not, none of us can as we weren't at the trial, although I did read something the other day where the judge said that she was most likely guilty but he had no choice other than to acquit her, thanks to the police did not follow due procedure.

Interesting discussion here from today's Woman's Hour. I can't say whether she is guilty or not, none of us can as we weren't at the trial, although I did read something the other day where the judge said that she was most likely guilty but he had no choice other than to acquit her, thanks to the police did not follow due procedure.

I'm glad we don't have judges like that in England. Judges have to respect the verdict of the jury and can't comment against it.

Also 'most likely guilty' means there is a possibility that she is not guilty. Applying reasonable doubt means it was right that she was acquitted. The Italian legal system hasn't come out of this well.

I'm glad we don't have judges like that in England. Judges have to respect the verdict of the jury and can't comment against it.

Also 'most likely guilty' means there is a possibility that she is not guilty. Applying reasonable doubt means it was right that she was acquitted. The Italian legal system hasn't come out of this well.

I'm surprised that it wasn't thrown out the first time round, surely her defence team must have realised how inept the investigative team had been, how the crime scene had been comprised and the forensics slapdash, to put it mildly.

Good article in today's Sunday Times about it, can't post a link as it's no longer free.:(

I'm surprised that it wasn't thrown out the first time round, surely her defence team must have realised how inept the investigative team had been, how the crime scene had been comprised and the forensics slapdash, to put it mildly.

Good article in today's Sunday Times about it, can't post a link as it's no longer free.:(

The trial by media seemed to take precedence over the trial by Jury. Indeed during the defence the hordes of media reps who had been present during the prosecution were strangely absent. The Judge and most of the jury were even seen to be asleep or using their mobile phones.

jb

The trial by media seemed to take precedence over the trial by Jury. Indeed during the defence the hordes of media reps who had been present during the prosecution were strangely absent. The Judge and most of the jury were even seen to be asleep or using their mobile phones.

jb

Which is increasingly becoming the norm, especially where a female is concerned as a woman transgresses twice: once in breaking the law and a second time in breaking every social convention and taboo as seldom do we hear of women as the perpetrators of sex crimes, which this was portrayed as. Throw in someone who is photogenic and you have all the ingredients of endless tabloid fodder and lurid speculation. Knox's then boyfriend didn't get a quarter of the coverage that she did.

Which is increasingly becoming the norm, especially where a female is concerned as a woman transgresses twice: once in breaking the law and a second time in breaking every social convention and taboo as seldom do we hear of women as the perpetrators of sex crimes, which this was portrayed as. Throw in someone who is photogenic and you have all the ingredients of endless tabloid fodder and lurid speculation. Knox's then boyfriend didn't get a quarter of the coverage that she did.
I don't know, the lady gets the limelight with ticket to become a millionairess, and the femmies are still complaining!!

I don't know, the lady gets the limelight with ticket to become a millionairess, and the femmies are still complaining!!

You're assuming she wants the limelight. Let's also not forget that for the rest of her life she will undoubtedly be subject to vigilante threats and attacks by people who are sure she did it.

jb

You're assuming she wants the limelight. Let's also not forget that for the rest of her life she will undoubtedly be subject to vigilante threats and attacks by people who are sure she did it.

jb

I think she'll be able to afford security.

Archived