Hawksworth Yard

PopT

According to some papers one of my ancestors was born in Hawksworth Yard in 1859.

I think it was either on Fargate or High St.

Does anyone know it's location and is it still called Hawksworth Yard or has it been renamed?

Any help appreciated.

PopT

According to some papers one of my ancestors was born in Hawksworth Yard in 1859.

I think it was either on Fargate or High St.

Does anyone know it's location and is it still called Hawksworth Yard or has it been renamed?

Any help appreciated.

PopT

According to this it was High Street.

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/r/o/f/Mark-A-Rofe/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0185.html

Pretty sure it's no longer there - will see if there are any old maps showing it.

Hi PopT - Gales & Martin's guide of 1787 shows "John Hawksworth, wholesale brewer" in Campo Lane. Looking at the sequence of entries in the 1881 census, Hawksworth Yard occurs between York Street and Hartshead (the actual sequence being Campo Lane - York Street - Vine Yard - Hawksworth Yard - Hartshead). The contemporary George W. Bacon and Pawson & Brailsford maps (accessible via sheffieldhistory.co.uk) show two narrow cul-de-sacs leading off from Hartshead towards High Street - so perhaps Hawksworth Yard was one of these?

Archived