What happened to Double Diamond and Nibbits!

Carlsberg bought Double Diamond and ceased selling it in 2003. I think Carlsberg have closed all but the Burton on Trent Breweries they have bought out from Allied Brweries now they are getting rid of the Tetley brewery in Leeds.

It is a shame especially since Carlsberg tastes so bad.

Carlsberg bought Double Diamond and ceased selling it in 2003. I think Carlsberg have closed all but the Burton on Trent Breweries they have bought out from Allied Brweries now they are getting rid of the Tetley brewery in Leeds.

It is a shame especially since Carlsberg tastes so bad.

But what about Nibbits?:roll:

But what about Nibbits?:roll:

Luckily for you, I am a certified Nibbitologist.

Frito-Lay, a division of Pepsico, bought the Smiths product range from United Biscuits in 1997. They also acquired the Nibbits brand as part of the deal.

Here's a photo of the original packaging.

The good news... they are still made in Holland and you can buy them here.

Double Diamond used to be a premium bitter brewed by Ind Coope at around 4.8% ABV. When it became a NATIONAL BLAND keg beer it became a fizzy pop at around 3.5% ABV. It disappeared from the UK market when the ABV started to be quoted and UK drinkers got taste. It is still apparently sold to the Americans who have never had taste.

In the UK what was the original Double Diamond is often sold as Burton Ale on hand pull.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/16348.jpg

I think Davenports went the same way. When folks realised the beer was damned close to water it lost its appeal.

Archived