Bob crow negotiates a great deal for his union members,

Bob Crow has negotiated a great deal for his union members, which could net the tube drivers up to 50k a year, it looks like we should all join a union.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15149806

Of course everybody should join a union, instead of bleating and complaining when their hard work gains benefits for their members.

So tell me why tube driving is worth more pennies then than say being a fireman?

Because I suspect very few people, if any, on this crummy website have been both a tube driver and a fireman. Therefore they can't make a reasonable comment without any degree credibility.

So tell me why tube driving is worth more pennies then than say being a fireman?

It doesn't work like that. Unions negotiate based on their strengths. It's unfortunate for firefighters but there is contingency when they go on strike:

1. Managers able to step in

2. Volunteer firefighters

3. The army, as a last resort

Most likely worst case - a handful of people suffer because they could not be rescued in time. Sounds harsh but that is the risk assessment the employers and unions make. :(

Not just anybody can get on a train carrying a thousand people and drive it around underground. And it doesn't go down too well when transport in the capital grinds to a halt in the run up to the Olympics. Hence the pay rise and the relative difference in pay.

But you're right, firefighters and the like should be paid and valued a lot more.

Archived