Bob crow negotiates a great deal for his union members,

Only a tiny monitory of banks had any direct involvement. How does this mean all bankers are bad?

How are all unions benevolent and all bankers evil?

I like the way its always poor public sector versus evil bankers-it seems they are not away of the huge private sector that isn't banking

I would argue that their skillset(your words) are comparable with train drivers,footballers,gas fitters,and similar skilled workers.The shift work takes place in an artificial environment,is hazardous and highly responsible.Given the cost of living in London an hourly rate of £20 per hour(50 hour week) seems rather modest.Many tradesmen command a daily rate of £150 which equates to £900 pw (inc Sat) or £45000 pa,and much more in London.
Tradesmen command that rate, from which tey have to pay their overheads for their transport, tools, consumables and of course they aren't in paid work every day, they don't get holiday pay and if they're ill they don't get paid. They need to charge £150 a day to have a wage left when all those things have been taken out.

I find it amazing that you think a train driver or bus driver has the same skillset as a footballer, or a gas fitter - did you think before posting?

So, if tube drivers are 'worth' over £50k a year, should we be paying that to bus drivers as well? Do you know what bus drivers earn in comparison?

Bob Crow has negotiated a great deal for his union members

He seems to have the knack

Militant union boss lives in home ‘for low-income families’ - despite SIX FIGURE salary package

Bob Crow gets taxpayers' help with rent - despite earning £145k a year

Fat-cat bashing Bob Crow’s £10,000 pay rise from RMT

As George Orwell put it, "some animals are more equal than others".

Tradesmen command that rate, from which tey have to pay their overheads for their transport, tools, consumables and of course they aren't in paid work every day, they don't get holiday pay and if they're ill they don't get paid. They need to charge £150 a day to have a wage left when all those things have been taken out.

I find it amazing that you think a train driver or bus driver has the same skillset as a footballer, or a gas fitter - did you think before posting?

So, if tube drivers are 'worth' over £50k a year, should we be paying that to bus drivers as well? Do you know what bus drivers earn in comparison?

I made no reference to bus drivers.Tradesmen frequently work in the black economy,which tube drivers do not.Tubedrivers may have to drive to work like plumbers.Footballers have no for a limited range of skills and lack formal qualifications and work part-time hours.I think people are alittle envious that a union with courageous and militant members can win good pay deals where the majority are supine and deferential,prefering to compete with colleahgues for promotion etc rather than dispaly solidarity.well done ,Bob another five years please!

I would argue that their skillset(your words) are comparable with train drivers,footballers,gas fitters,and similar skilled workers.The shift work takes place in an artificial environment,is hazardous and highly responsible.Given the cost of living in London an hourly rate of £20 per hour(50 hour week) seems rather modest.Many tradesmen command a daily rate of £150 which equates to £900 pw (inc Sat) or £45000 pa,and much more in London.

Ah, that explains everything. No wonder the drivers get great wages if they have to buy and run their own trains and pay for the leccy on top.

Ah, that explains everything. No wonder the drivers get great wages if they have to buy and run their own trains and pay for the leccy on top.

They are buying their trains actually -Crow has negotiated share purchases at a massive discount.Thanks for reminding me but I did not wish to gloat anymore as I can sense one or two posters getting tearful.:hihi:

I think it's wrong to compare bus drivers and train drivers. In London bus driver rates of pay vary from £10 to £15 an hour for senior drivers with overtime available. Many can easily make 30k and much more with overtime.

Tube drivers aren't allowed to work overtime. Also consider to train up a tube driver he/she must pass tough psychometric tests which you can only fail once - ever! That means if you fail the tests twice for train(tube) driver you will not ever be allowed to apply for the rest of your life. 90 % fail the process. Then comes the 6 month course including many exams which must be passed. The actual 'driving test' could last up to 5 days as the examiner will test mechanical and rules knowledge, some testing on dealing with emergencies in a simulator (a bit like how they do for airline pilots) and then some driving day and night. Remember not all of the tube is underground.

I've known bus drivers learn and pass their driving test in 5 days. Resit as many times as you want at the company's or your expense. Obviously still need to learn routes and the ticket machine but 3-4 weeks maximum to get a new driver out there. I'm a bus driver myself.

I think it's wrong to compare bus drivers and train drivers. In London bus driver rates of pay vary from £10 to £15 an hour for senior drivers with overtime available. Many can easily make 30k and much more with overtime.

Tube drivers aren't allowed to work overtime. Also consider to train up a tube driver he/she must pass tough psychometric tests which you can only fail once - ever! That means if you fail the tests twice for train(tube) driver you will not ever be allowed to apply for the rest of your life. 90 % fail the process. Then comes the 6 month course including many exams which must be passed. The actual 'driving test' could last up to 5 days as the examiner will test mechanical and rules knowledge, some testing on dealing with emergencies in a simulator (a bit like how they do for airline pilots) and then some driving day and night. Remember not all of the tube is underground.

I've known bus drivers learn and pass their driving test in 5 days. Resit as many times as you want at the company's or your expense. Obviously still need to learn routes and the ticket machine but 3-4 weeks maximum to get a new driver out there. I'm a bus driver myself.[/QUote]

at last a factual reasoned response rather than a rant fulled by bigotry and possibly envy-thanks

Archived