Bob crow negotiates a great deal for his union members,

All Mecky ever seems to do is hop into threads to drop snide one-liners or make peronal digs at other posters; he/she actually exceeds Halibut's style in that respect.

And he isn't alone. The amount of question dodging when asked any reasonable questions is astounding. The response to anything seems to be an avoidant one using a copy and paste of these words placed in a different order: the, tories, rich, bankers, the, milk-stealing, billionaire, robbing, fat-cats, ConDems, tax evasion, leading, poor, gullible etc

To reply to DaSmith in post 139 I think I posted earlier in this thread a link to SPADS and the underground. I think the new Paris driverless trains start this month so time will tell how things work out. If LUL can lose it's drivers then the money saved could pay for a lot more platform staff which is after all what the travelling public want to see. Also to revert to my previous question I don't know where you drive but I would not like to think I was on the ECML doing 125 approaching the numerous level crossings and kids on overbridges with a crowded train in the knowledge that some one driving on a semi automated line was earning considerably more.

To reply to DaSmith in post 139 I think I posted earlier in this thread a link to SPADS and the underground. I think the new Paris driverless trains start this month so time will tell how things work out. If LUL can lose it's drivers then the money saved could pay for a lot more platform staff which is after all what the travelling public want to see. Also to revert to my previous question I don't know where you drive but I would not like to think I was on the ECML doing 125 approaching the numerous level crossings and kids on overbridges with a crowded train in the knowledge that some one driving on a semi automated line was earning considerably more.

I just do local suburban work. Nothing prestigious yet. I'll admit to being paid more than a London bus driver but I think I'm worth it. Slippery rails and leaf fall kept me on my toes today :o

Line 14 on the Paris metro is fully automated and works really well. Line 1 which was converted at a cost of 600 million euro starts as you say this month. I think it will work and I also think ultimately the tube will be automated but there will always be an attendant on board like on the DLR who can drive.

At the moment a tube driver earns 42k and a ECML driver 50k so tube drivers aren't on more money than main line drivers yet :)

I see that London Transport is looking at cutting 1500 jobs on the underground and speeding up the introduction of driverless trains. Perhaps some people have just priced themselves out of the jobs market.

It will still take at least 10 years unfortunately.

I see that London Transport is looking at cutting 1500 jobs on the underground and speeding up the introduction of driverless trains. Perhaps some people have just priced themselves out of the jobs market.

I very much doubt it, if they are investing in new technology to implement the use of driverless trains, i dont think a wage claim would make the slightest bit of difference...

In 1785, Edmund Cartwright patented the first power loom, i dont think his workers could have effected the coming technology by asking for a pay rise :huh:

It will still take at least 10 years unfortunately.

Well it does of course. But seeing as how the union have been playing fast and loose with commuters for a while now the plans are pretty well advanced.

Report here..

The confidential document called Operational Strategy Discussion Paper and dated July 2011, looks at how the service will evolve over the next decade and examines "reducing operational costs by up to 20%".

It predicts the closure of most ticket offices by 2016 as more people use contact-less bank cards or Oyster smartcards to pay for their journeys.

Across London 30 ticket offices will remain which will become "travel centres", the paper says.

The strategy document predicts that by 2017 only 20% of trains will be manually operated with drivers in cabs, and beyond 2020 all lines are expected to have "fully remote train operations".

There are also mentions of a recruitment freeze and "imposing" overtime and part-time working.

I very much doubt it, if they are investing in new technology to implement the use of driverless trains, i dont think a wage claim would make the slightest bit of difference...

In 1785, Edmund Cartwright patented the first power loom, i dont think his workers could have effected the coming technology by asking for a pay rise :huh:

I'm just quoting the RMT. Where do you get your knowledge that says differently?

Archived