Should benefits reduce with each extra child?

Should benefits reduce with each extra child?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should benefits reduce with each extra child?

• Yes
    • No

Umm, if we're using the OP then 4 kids would equal no benefits, £0, zilch, nada, nix.

If it helps to make it work then Jan 1 2012 could be day zero. In other words, if your first child is born on Jan 1 2012 you'd get maximum benefits if you never had any more.

...I'm guessing you have 2 winkles? :hihi:

The idea is ludicrous and would increase child poverty. How could that be a good idea?

In that scenario you could just as easily argue that people who continue to have children that they have no means to provide for are the ones that cause an increase in child poverty.

For 4 children do you mean no extra benefits or none at all? Either way it'll just lead to child poverty. I do accept there are people who have kids because anything more intellectual in life is beyond them but there's no point making the kids suffer. Some of them will grow up to be like their parents and others will break out of that lifetstyle.

It's my belief that children usually will suffer if they are bought up in an environment where their parent/s lifestyle is and has always been sustained entirely by state handouts.

or people can be smart and use protection, ****ing hell no one wants responsibility anymore

It's not about the parents it's about the children that will be brought into a family with zero benefits just because they happen to not be the 1st born. It's not their fault, they didn't ask to be born.

It is the height of naivity to believe you can stop people from having children even with the threat of benefit cuts. The best we can do (which still baffles me why it hasn't yet been seriously considered) is to make it so that benefits are paid to a special debit card whereby only certain items can be purchased, making sure money gets spent on the child.

It's not about the parents it's about the children that will be brought into a family with zero benefits just because they happen to not be the 1st born. It's not their fault, they didn't ask to be born.

It is the height of naivity to believe you can stop people from having children even with the threat of benefit cuts. The best we can do (which still baffles me why it hasn't yet been seriously considered) is to make it so that benefits are paid to a special debit card whereby only certain items can be purchased, making sure money gets spent on the child.

That's a superb idea.

I do not have kids, should I be financially rewarded for not having any to drain the coffers?

Why not, farmers get paid for leaving fields fallow for a year so why not incentivise people to not have kids.

And for those who are unable to avoid having kids on religious grounds then maybe the church could pay the benefit.

Archived