Have reality shows made the UK more neurotic?

Are you sure you mean neurotic which describes mental disorders? Just tending to cry more openly in public isn't the same as neurosis.

The stiff upper lip isn't as stiff as it once was. People who cried over Diana's death and over someone who loses on Big Brother need to get a sense of perspective but then before the Falklands war people screamed at the Beatles and attacked others for supporting a different football team or for belonging to a different youth culture. In the

1st World War men who stayed at home were openly accused of cowardice even if they had good reason not to fight. There have always been the irrational and emotional. The objects of their emotions change over time as society and culture change.

Yes, I believe some of the contestants like Susan Boyle, although good singers, are mentally disturbed. Being on the programme ,only makes their neurosis worse,as they cannot handle fame.

The fact is TV these days is largely aimed at the female audience and we all know the ladies are self-conscious about themselves - Does my bum look big in this, make-up and all that rubbish etc. Therefore, they often watch and study other people to see if they match up to them, which leads to bitchiness/preying or regression. TV has the added bonous that they can slag someone off without reprisal.

Give me proper programming anyday, where I might learn something, over the likes of x Factor, house buying programmes, Big Brother etc which are cheap to make.

The fact is TV these days is largely aimed at the female audience and we all know the ladies are self-conscious about themselves - Does my bum look big in this, make-up and all that rubbish etc. Therefore, they often watch and study other people to see if they match up to them, which leads to bitchiness/preying or regression. TV has the added bonous that they can slag someone off without reprisal.

Give me proper programming anyday, where I might learn something, over the likes of x Factor, house buying programmes, Big Brother etc which are cheap to make.

totally agree!!!

I agree with this. I use my TV for learning and comedy only. watching other people living is not living in my book.

and PLEASE no more programmes about antiques !!! Like Cash in the attic etc; :rant:

My bold. If women are as bad as that, perhaps we should have an annual cull. :hihi:

Archived