1970's Pubs in City Centre

JOHN HABS

When wife and I were courting we use to meet up at the top of the escalator outside

Walsh's ( now TJ Hughs ), from then on we would make our way down to the Merry England

pub just below the Black Swan, then walk back towards the Mulberry Tavern on Arundle Gate, then back towards High Street and the Blue Bell, up Fargate towards The Museum Pub, go next door to The Stone House, then across the road to the Bucanner.

Anyone remember any or all of these pubs ?

When wife and I were courting we use to meet up at the top of the escalator outside

Walsh's ( now TJ Hughs ), from then on we would make our way down to the Merry England

pub just below the Black Swan, then walk back towards the Mulberry Tavern on Arundle Gate, then back towards High Street and the Blue Bell, up Fargate towards The Museum Pub, go next door to The Stone House, then across the road to the Bucanner.

Anyone remember any or all of these pubs ?

It's a wonder you could still walk.:D:D........

I remember all these pubs, the main meeting places used to be outside Rackams or the Threepeny bit in Pond Street depending on where your bus stopped.

It's a wonder you could still walk.:D:D........

I remember all these pubs, the main meeting places used to be outside Rackams or the Threepeny bit in Pond Street depending on where your bus stopped.

Never been much of a drinker......probably had a pint in some of the pubs and halves

in the others.

Threepenny Bit in Pond Street ?

Think you mean ' Penny Black ' ?

I worked behind the bar in the Whetstone for about 5 years for Eileen and Tom Walsh, it wasn't full of the low lifes then. I used to go the Albert, Dove and Rainbow, Blue Bell, Sportsman, Nelson, Buccaneer, Red Lion, not all on the same night I hasten to add!

Archived