1970's Pubs in City Centre

JOHN HABS

The Stone House was our hang out in the early 70`s

Used to go in there myself, in fact did a few shifts behind the bar in the courtyard when Jim ran the place . He was a friend of Tom Walsh who had the Whetstone and if you wanted extra shifts Jim always had some going!

The Museum was a regular haunt for me although the outside toilets were a bit cold in the winter. I had occasions to go in all the other pubs mentioned depending usually on what club I was going to end up in

I used to meet a g/f at the threepenny bit kiosk and as it was a popular meeting point was once spotted by several work colleagues meeting my g/f and I can still remember the comments as she was dressed in hippy gear, my work colleagues were all trendies.

the bell up the passage was allways my favourite town pub but am talking early sixties

once ended up in bell in square my mate was well drunk and went to toilet he was ages and i thought he had gone home so i went for my bus

when i saw him again he told me he fell asleep on toilet and woke up about 2 o clock in morning,he climbed out of a small side window i think it was on jew lane

When wife and I were courting we use to meet up at the top of the escalator outside

Walsh's ( now TJ Hughes ), from then on we would make our way down to the Merry England

pub just below the Black Swan, then walk back towards the Mulberry Tavern on Arundel Gate, then back towards High Street and the Blue Bell, up Fargate towards The Museum Pub, go next door to The Stone House, then across the road to the Buccaneer.

Anyone remember any or all of these pubs ?

The Red Lion Holly St mid sixties, Albert Greenwood bricklayer and gentleman would lead a conga out of the Lion pick up some more punters from The Albert on Barkers Pool,lead the ever growing conga line round the back of the City Hall and back to the lion where as usual it was now so packed we could not get in.

Albert also used to get the skiffle band going in the Lion this comprised of Fairy liquid bottles filled with dried peas, old washing rubbing boards, tommy talkers, tambourines, and spoons .

All these improvised instruments would then be used to accompany the juke box with the hit of the day, hilarious ,Why aren't pubs like that anymore.

We used to meet up in the Claymore,get a green un' walk up to the Brown Bear,where it was nice & quiet,read about the footie then it was up West St.starting in Red Lion then Saddle,West St.Hotel,Raven then drop to Trippet lane to Dog & Partridge,Grapes then back to Red Lion,then,more often than not finish up in Merry England bar.That was 5/6 days a week.:loopy:

Ah happy days, for those of us with the prog rock in our backgrounds, we used to start off in the Albert, then down to the Buccaneer on to the Wapentake and then the Nelson and if we could make it, down to the Penthouse at the side of the market.

Some fantastic nights forever etched into my memory

When wife and I were courting we use to meet up at the top of the escalator outside

Walsh's ( now TJ Hughs ), from then on we would make our way down to the Merry England

pub just below the Black Swan, then walk back towards the Mulberry Tavern on Arundle Gate, then back towards High Street and the Blue Bell, up Fargate towards The Museum Pub, go next door to The Stone House, then across the road to the Bucanner.

Anyone remember any or all of these pubs ?

i rememer a few a couple on west street the prince of wales now the frog and parrot the forresters opposite where the fire station used to be the west street, the albert on cambridge street the barley corn lower dow known for its market traders and girls low morals so to speak, there wsas another on cambridge street but forgot its name going urther back the bell in fitzalan sq the elephant across the road and the travellors on the moor sure thes many more

Sat Night was town night we met in the commercial top of Commercial st through the swing doors one of the only places in Sheff where you could get a pint of Bass then Cannon,Brunswick,Hen & Chicks,Mucky Duck,Dove & Rainbow,Blue Bell Claymoor then into TOP RANK until I got barred then I went in the Fiesta HAPPY DAYS.

Archived