1970's Pubs in City Centre

JOHN HABS

The Claymore and the New inn at the Norton water tower were the only two Youngers pubs this far south I think....

I thought that the New Inn at the Norton water tower was a Tetley Pub. Does anyone remember the Athol in town? Wasn't that a Younger's pub?

Ah happy days, for those of us with the prog rock in our backgrounds, we used to start off in the Albert, then down to the Buccaneer on to the Wapentake and then the Nelson and if we could make it, down to the Penthouse at the side of the market.

Some fantastic nights forever etched into my memory

Ditto!!Me and my mate Jed,74/75,happy days.....Well I think they were!!

The Barleycorn on Cambridge St used to be one of the circuit bars and had a reputation for a gay following I seem to remember, then off to The Sportsman and The Yorkshireman, the Three Tuns which has gone on Leopold St and Golden Ball and then the other Three Tuns at Townhead St when Trevor Gillat had it. Sometimes the Minerva Tavern got a visit and the one opposite too, was it the Rutland?

The Barleycorn on Cambridge St used to be one of the circuit bars and had a reputation for a gay following I seem to remember, then off to The Sportsman and The Yorkshireman, the Three Tuns which has gone on Leopold St and Golden Ball and then the other Three Tuns at Townhead St when Trevor Gillat had it. Sometimes the Minerva Tavern got a visit and the one opposite too, was it the Rutland?

Some of them lasses in the Barlycorn were very gay! indeed.

Archived