Cameron.. Pay Off Your Credit Cards To Help Economy

I have a AMEX Platinum Membership Rewards charge card ( not to be confused with the AMEX Platinum credit card ) OK it costs me a £300 a year membership fee. Some may say you pay £300 a year for the card but believe me the benefits of that card far outweigh the £300 it costs me, plus i also have bog standard Mastercard which i have because not everywhere accepts AMEX.
On that one, an ex-boss of mine had an AMEX Centurion (yes, the really-stupidly-exceedingly expensive black one, better/faster/shinier than the Platinum one) for several years.

For all the hype (and the annual fee - don't ask - really, don't ask), it still couldn't get him back from the US around 09/11 ;)

Ah yes, we remember - they "saved the world" by completely cocking up the rescue and screwing us all over for the next 5-10 years.

How about talking about responsible borrowing instead of responsible lending? Imagine if previous Chancellors and PM's had thought about responsible borrowing eh? Brain dead?

What about all these faceless blocks of flats around town that have gone up over the last 10 - 15 years, which will probably never be worth what people paid for them again, did you support the borrowings people made for those???

On that one, an ex-boss of mine had an AMEX Centurion (yes, the really-stupidly-exceedingly expensive black one, better/faster/shinier than the Platinum one) for several years. It still didn't help him much getting back from the US around 09/11 ;)

Ah thats the next card up from mine and i don't think you can apply for it, AMEX invite you to apply for it. No doubt they are ten a penny down Canary Wharf :D Of course there are situations where no matter who you are or what card you pull out, your still going nowhere.

But credit / charge cards if used correctly and you are sensible with them, they can be of great benefit.

What about all these faceless blocks of flats around town that have gone up over the last 10 - 15 years, which will probably never be worth what people paid for them again, did you support the borrowings people made for those???

You have a problem with people putting a roof over their heads? Blimey.

My own short and consistent answer is that so long as the advance doesn't exceed the value of the security - yep. Sadly the previous government didn't care much for such a simple formula so they had to save the world.

But where will they get this extra money after having suffered a pay freeze, increased inflation, fuel costs, and most people will dread the cost of utility bills this winter. Let’s conjure up some money, better still, let’s all go and print some, like the bank of England.

Less money will be spent.

Money will be printed, to ensure the supply increases YoY

If your not in debt you don't have to decrease spending. You don't have to suffer a fall in living standards.

The debt students are now forced to carry and the extra tax rate they incur will lead to a reduced standard of living for them. Educating yourself through an expensive organisation could be unwise.

With the internet, learning has never been easier! You need not get in debt. Independent exam bodies will begin to form. An online degree could soon be worth a lot more, and cost a lot less.

If you can't afford a washing machine today then you save up until you can.

You might be happy to go around smelling like a tramp but most people have more class.

Or, of course, you could get mummy to do your washing for you.

Food for the brain-dead perhaps. What about responsible lending???

Without wishing to sound patronising some people just can't say no to the temptations of easy credit.

Even now you see loads of ad's about offering easy to get instant loans etc

whilst the banks will not lend businesses money to expand, thus prolonging the recession.

I think I'll agree with you for a change on that one :)

One of my disappointments of the coalition is the failure to live up to the expectations of Project Merlin, whereby banks agreed to open credit lines to small business and curb bonuses. Many small businesses rely of credit to turn over stock, capital investments etc, but Project Merlin afaik has so far not achieved this aim, and bankers are still getting whopping bonuses afaik. :shakes:

I'd like to see a tougher attitude from the government.

Archived