Bridesmaid hair and make up- do we pay?

I'm not paying for the bridesmaids make-up and hair, but then they aren't getting ready at my place either.

I don't think it would be outrageous after all the other costs are generally covered by the bride & groom, to ask that if they want their hair and make-up to be done professionally, that they cover those costs themselves.

Well if you don't care how they have it then agree. But I think it would be cheeky of a bride to insist that their bridesmaids get their hair done professionally and make them pay. When I got married I paid for both my hair and my bridesmaids hair to be done, but I wanted it to look nice on the day and in the photos (not that it can't look nice done yourself, but depends on how much skill you/your bridesmaids have).

Only one bridesmaid didn't have their hair done, that was my sister. But she has really short hair so there's not a lot that could have been done to it by a hairdresser anyway.

tbh it doesn't help when so many make up and hair folk charge an arm and a leg just because the magic word "wedding" is used. I can't understand why they charge for more on the day than the trial? Doesn't the trial mean that they will know what they are doing on the day?

I think I'm really lucky to have a local hairdressers and beauticians next door to each other, and even luckier that the lady doing my make up is coming in on her day of especially. Both make up and hair trials were £15 and it will be the same price on the day.

If I had had to have someone come to me the prices some are charging, I don't think I would have been able to justify or afford the prices charged.

My bridesmaids want to do their own make up, and are going to their own local hairdressers and paying the same as myself for their hair.

Mind you, my wedding has cost less than 2k for the whole of the wedding, and yes, that's catering, dresses, suits, the whole thing <grin>

tbh it doesn't help when so many make up and hair folk charge an arm and a leg just because the magic word "wedding" is used. I can't understand why they charge for more on the day than the trial? Doesn't the trial mean that they will know what they are doing on the day?

I think I'm really lucky to have a local hairdressers and beauticians next door to each other, and even luckier that the lady doing my make up is coming in on her day of especially. Both make up and hair trials were £15 and it will be the same price on the day.

If I had had to have someone come to me the prices some are charging, I don't think I would have been able to justify or afford the prices charged.

My bridesmaids want to do their own make up, and are going to their own local hairdressers and paying the same as myself for their hair.

Mind you, my wedding has cost less than 2k for the whole of the wedding, and yes, that's catering, dresses, suits, the whole thing <grin>

How ahve you managed to just spend £2k!!!! i need to copy you!

How ahve you managed to just spend £2k!!!! i need to copy you!

by shopping around, making my own dress, having reception at local pub etc ... I don't believe it's about how much you spend, especially when you don't have a lot. For me it's about what we say, and not where etc.

Oh, and this is my first wedding, even though I'm 48 (just), so can't be accused of having done it before ..... blah blah blah ;)

I never bothered with a trial, but I just wanted my hair to be the same style as I always have it but more neat and tidy! I don't remember the price but I think it was pretty reasonable, however, my mum, sister and me regular go to the same hairdresser so perhaps that's why. Also she didn't come to me, I went to her.

• 3 weeks later...

I was planning on paying for my bridesmaids hair and make up - if they want it. I will be getting mine done, and will pay for them if they want to use it (but they may not, and I don't mind what they do with their hair).

As they had a hand in designing their outfits and they are not traditional bridesmaid and will have wearing again potential I have asked for a contribution for those (don't have a fina prioce yet so we haven't fully negotiated!)

However, I am in the very fotunate position of not having t be on a tight budget. :blush: however I totally agreethat it is about what you are doing not what you pay - has just meant I haven't had to scrimp at somethings, and I don't think we are being unnecesarily frivolous. Anyhoo - I think if you want them to have it certain way and that can only be done by a professional then you pay, but if you are open to them doing it themseves but they can choose to have a professional, then they pay!

Archived