Handling change

Change seems to become more and more a part of our lives. Our cosy little worlds are ever changing at a greater rate than ever before. We cannot expect anything to remain the same for very long.

Is this constant change good for us, or does it lead to anxiety and resentment?

I always handle change very carefully as I know that if I do not the taxi driver will pick it up off the floor when I have got out and keep it!:suspect:

In what way is it changing anymore than it has done in the past?

The rate of change has always accelerated, and the rate at which it accelerates has, also, always accelerated.

For the first few million years that rate was still far too slow for any one person ever to notice it in their lifetime, but since about 1750 that has been less and less true. Nowadays, most things aren't even the same as they were ten years ago, much less fifty.

The rate of change has always accelerated, and the rate at which it accelerates has, also, always accelerated.

For the first few million years that rate was still far too slow for any one person ever to notice it in their lifetime, but since about 1750 that has been less and less true. Nowadays, most things aren't even the same as they were ten years ago, much less fifty.

Yes, but although most things change, we as humans absorb that change naturally. Because of the way we now think technologically and scientifically, we not only absorb it but actually expect it. Humans are evolving as fast as technology, so we don't actually see it as change..unless it's instant, personal, like in a war zone scenario and have your legs blown off.

Yes, but although most things change, we as humans absorb that change naturally. Because of the way we now think technologically and scientifically, we not only absorb it but actually expect it. Humans are evolving as fast as technology, so we don't actually see it as change..unless it's instant, personal, like in a war zone scenario and have your legs blown off.

I do not think that humans are evolving as quickly as technology, nor would I wish them to. Technology is being developed by a very small minority and being pushed onto the unsuspecting majority who, in my opinion, would sooner see a period without change.

Yes, but although most things change, we as humans absorb that change naturally.

There are a lot of people who argue that we don't - that a lot of the reason for the mass prevalence of anxiety/stress/depression related symptoms is because humans have evolved to live a slow-paced, unchanging life and we don't have one any more.

I do not think that humans are evolving as quickly as technology, nor would I wish them to. Technology is being developed by a very small minority and being pushed onto the unsuspecting majority who, in my opinion, would sooner see a period without change.

You may be right but experience tells us that technology is being gobbled up as fast as it moves along. Of course humans are moving as fast if not faster than technology. Technology and science are the creation of humans so therefore they are in advance, they may not be in possession of all the answers but the building blocks are there to many, if not most. As for a period without change...you can opt out if you wish, it's a matter of how much you feel the need to opt in and how you deal with it.

Archived