Advice from past Uni Students about whether to do/not do a Work Placement?

Hi, I'm studying engineering at Uni and was wondering if any past students could advise me on whether to do or not do a work placement?

So far, I assume the following:

Good points if I did a placement:

- experience

Bad points if I did a placement:

- takes one year longer to complete uni

- placement could have nothing to do with my degree and employer can get me to do whatever else they need doing, hence could be a waste of time

What do you guys think?

I did five months work placement when I did my four year taught masters. I thought it was really useful. It gives you a good idea of how your chosen industry works and gives you experience in your chosen field. It will also give you an advantage when you finish your degree and start looking for jobs. I had a couple of friends do a full year placement and both went on to get similar jobs to the ones they studied.

Another option is to get in with one of the bigger companies and do consecutive summer placements with them. That way you get the experience and still get to finish in three years. You're also likely to get a job out of it at the end.

I did a placement at university and it was great. Not only did my studies then make more sense, I left university with some experience to my name, which made me more employable.

Also you should get paid, which means you shouldn't incur any further debt, so the extra year 'at uni' is moot. And maybe there will actually be jobs a year later, because there aren't many now!

If you can do a placement I would say that is a great opportunity. The one thing most graduates lack is experience! However be warned, I knew someone who had a paid placement all set up, credit crunch hits and staff had to be let go. The first to go was the work placement :( The university were very unsypathetic and told him he had 3 weeks to find another placement. in the current climate not an easy deal.

If you can self fund a placement I would whole heartedly recommend it. If you can sell yourself to them you will most likely come up with a job offer upon graduation as that is easier than recruitment, but don't hold your breath on a paid placement.

HTH

I not only had a year placement myself but have over the years mentored numerous year placement students of my own.

It is invariably a very valuable experience which not only gives you an insight into what it is like to work in your chosen career but places you above other graduates who have no experience. You may also find that you hate it so when you graduate you know you need to change career path.

As for just being used as cheap labour for a year I won't argue and say this doesn't happen as it clearly does. However you have some say in which companies to apply for and your university will usually have close ties with various companies and should be able to offer some guidance. One thing to remember though is that the better placements will go to the better students so it's important to not only do well in your first couple of years but to practise your interview technique and learn about the company beforehand.

jb

Do it for certain. You will get experience which is invaluable and also you will demonstrate that you are prepared and disciplined enough to do a task and stick to it. A placement, especially if it's an optional one will only stand you in good stead.

my course didnt offer a placement year...and if i was choosing a course again would have gone for one with that option in a flash.

you NEED experience for almost every job going nowadays, and it is the best way to get it.

plus, you will also get the network contacts to help you in your search for work after graduation too. you never know, depending on the work available, you could end up with temporary contracts over summer too ;)

personally, i think its a no brainer when you have to fight so hard to prove yourself for a job- the piece of paper that says you have a degree is simply no longer enough.

best of luck :)

x

ps. start looking at the placements early...that way you may have some influence on where you go if you can apply and make the right inroads first :)

Archived