Do you repair your shoes or chuck them away?

My shoes and boots  

11 members have voted

1. 1. My shoes and boots

• get repaired until they fall apart
    • are mended by me
    • go in the bin before they get near a last

Do you repair your worn out shoes or maybe you repair your own?

I find that it takes about three sets of soles before the uppers begin to break in properly and after 15 years or so they are just nice.

Or will you admit to chucking them away to satisfy your vainglorious consumption?

I get them repaired where possible, but for some reason I seem to be particularly talented at going through the uppers in shoes, so some of them end up having no repairs at all.

I've made a concession recently. I've been wearing the same pair of Birkenstocks as day to day shoes for about 8 years now, but they're at the stage where they need a new footbed, sole and uppers, so I think they've just about had it, so I've ordered a new pair to break in gently alongside them for a year or two before I finally commit them to the bin. When I do commit them to the bin there will be no point in giving them to somebody else because they really will be beyond service.

I'm the person who found out by practical experience that underneath the tread sole on running shoes there's a layer of strange velvet-type cloth. It took 10 years of wear to get that far, but now there's no tread at all left on them they are reserved for things like going on the beach with the dog when I know that they're going to get wet. They have even survived being put in the washer 3 or 4 times a year for a decade, but all good things come to an end :(

I only buy shoes with leather soles, they tend to be Loakes. I've had apairs for years and providing they are resoled every now and again they can last a lifetime. A Kid at work spent £15 on a pair of shoes, they looked decent for a night but they fell to bits after a week.

My grandad made his living repairing shoes - he worked as a cobbler and when the owner of the business retired he sold it to my grandad.

There aren't many cobblers left these days though, are there?

(Despite the family history, I don't have shoes repaired, somehow it doesn't seem worth it)

Archived