Childhood envy, lust and lifelong disappointment

It never bothered me at the time, but at Christmas I would usually have 5 or 6 presents and my next door neighbour would have piles and piles. On looking back I feel a bit of sadness that I didn't come down to the many unopened presents. More than made up for it with our two daughters though.

Hi

We had bikes as kids but never got a bike called a Chopper. It was coming to the end of its life when we were about 8/9 and our father said we were too small for the bike, he was correct of course.

Thanks

I always wanted a speedboat, no idea why we didnt live near water. My brother always told me there was one in the corner of the loft left by the last owner for years and I believed him (I couldnt check as it was not boarded out etc) the rotter.

I always wanted a scalextrix (or however you spell it) when I was a bairn - my dad told me it was rubbish and nothing like the adverts on TV and in any event we couldn't afford it - I saved up my paper-round money for what seemed like months and bought it myself - it was the first time i remember thinking that my dad actually was right about some things

Not having the pleasure of owning a Raleigh Chopper. How I used to look on with envy as my mates played on theirs, whilst I had to make do with my joyless BMX.

However, I did have an Atari. If it wasn't for the Atari, I think I wouldn't be a balanced as I am now.

I always wanted a scalextrix (or however you spell it) when I was a bairn - my dad told me it was rubbish and nothing like the adverts on TV and in any event we couldn't afford it - I saved up my paper-round money for what seemed like months and bought it myself - it was the first time i remember thinking that my dad actually was right about some things

It's not all it's cracked up to be , my car never stayed on the track , I don't think I ever got round the full track once :hihi: I left my brother to it all .

Archived