Snow chains or snow tyres

My neighbour had snow socks which he fitted to his Civic Type R - he was the only one who went to work most days.

Snow socks wear out, so probably need replacing every winter. You have to fit them,drive in snow,get clear of the snow and then take them off again. Less than five minutes per operation.

Surprisingly he's bought a Honda CRV now and is still planning on buying now socks for it

I haven;t heard of anyone useing snow tires or chains since the 70s, it;s all all-season radials now isn't it ? I think some people do use chains in some parts when they go ice fishing, but thats about it, no need for them anymore.

how easy are these snow socks to put on? quite intrestred in them :)

Me too.....I'd like to hear more about them.
I got caught in the Anston A57 snow disaster (in early December last year), and swore never to be again! So, I bought a set just before we went to France last Xmas (2010). As it happens, I ended up using them extensively during that trip, clocked a good 120 miles or so on them, and they are in the same condition now as when I got them new.

As for how good they are, they just "work": you put them on, and you just drive (of course, more slowly and cautiously than usual but, essentially, "normally"). There's no wheelslip, the grip is just there, 'like magic'.

As for fitting them, the first time took me about 3-4 minutes. The last time, less than a minute (for both...it's like F1 pitting :D).

It's basically, like the name says on the tin, "a sock":

[make sure you buy the right size!] (I did)

• you wrap about 3/4 of both car wheels (essentially, what doesn't touch the ground) with them as you would a sock,
  • then you move the car (or wheelspin slowly) forward or back a few inches, to clear the bottom portion of the tyres that's still uncovered,
  • then wrap the rest of the sock over that uncovered tyre portion,
  • job done, away you go :thumbsup:

I'm getting a few more sets this year, one for the Volvo rear wheels, and 2 for the second car (need 2 sets for RWD, no point having good traction at rear if you don't have good steering at front).

Hi

Look up 'tyre reviews' and you will get the answers - Our son put on Winter Contact from Continetal last winter on his Merc/Auto - we had to tow him to his home and then the garge to get tyres as the auto would not mive on any hint of a gradient - with the new trutes and this in no joke, it drove like our range Rover Sport, no jesting, that is what a diff makes with right tyres for cold, sub zero, frozen sno temps. He keeps the contis in our garge and will return to them next moneth as they handle better in the cold weather - they were about 160 a corner and you are supposed have four of them otherwise you could lose control of car

I've bought some "multigrip" snow socks from Halfords for £49 something. I've just tried fitting them, to make sure I could and would know just what to do when/if the need arises. Easy-peasy. They're now in the boot, and I hope they can stay there, but I feel a little more secure should the need arise. (These are in addition to 4 season tyres).

Archived