Snow chains or snow tyres

In the 50s and 60s the tyre companies made a tyre called a Town and Country and these were superb all the farmers had them fitted and they swore by them and all the vehicles were rear wheel drive apart from the Mini and the odd Landrover,the mini had small wheels which would spin very easily and the tyres were fitted to the front.I can not recall ever being called out to pull one out of trouble so maybe driving techniques were different then

These worked a treat for me last year ;)

With a Volvo estate diesel, about as front-heavy as they come :hihi:

What size do these fit up to? The link won't load properly at the moment. Mine are quite big - 225/45/18. I've been thinking about getting some of these for a while but don't want to waste money as it says they only fit 60% of wheels. :?

What size do these fit up to? The link won't load properly at the moment. Mine are quite big - 225/45/18. I've been thinking about getting some of these for a while but don't want to waste money as it says they only fit 60% of wheels. :?

The Halfords version, called "Multigrip" comes in 5 sizes (S, M, L, XL & XXL). They are all £49:99. 225/45/R18 tyres appear to require the XL size. On each pack, which are colour coded depending on size, there is a list of which size of sock suits which tyre size, so its easy enough to check in the shop. I've no idea if the Halfords version is better, worse or the same as "real" AutoSocks. I looked online for comparative tests to see if any particular brand was better than the others, before I bought mine, but couldn't find any comparisons.

Edit. You're only XL, so not as big as you thought you were. My wife says much the same about me.:o:D

Archived