Snow chains or snow tyres

I've bought some "multigrip" snow socks from Halfords for £49 something. I've just tried fitting them, to make sure I could and would know just what to do when/if the need arises. Easy-peasy. They're now in the boot, and I hope they can stay there, but I feel a little more secure should the need arise. (These are in addition to 4 season tyres).

I have got some thermal socks for my tyres, 3 pairs for £2.99 on The Moor market.:cool:

Where i live we get snow by the feet, not inches, I've never known anyone use snow tires or chains in years, seems behind times, although we do get the roads & highways cleared off very fast maybe thats why there not needed, even the small back streets are plowed before you leave for work the next morning, also seen the size of the snow shovels over there i think they could be with being twice the size to do any good :) hope none of us will need anyof these things this winter...hate snow.

Bump. This weeks Auto Express has an article about winter tyres. As part of it they asked 3 manufacturers (Goodyear, Michelin & Continental, I think, as it was just a quick look at the newsagent) what single tyre is best, for someone who doesn't want to switch between winter and summer tyres. All 3 said that it was better to use winter tyres all year than to use summer tyres all year, on the basis that winter tyres in summer were much less of a compromise than summer tyres in winter would be.

Archived