Addy Street old factory in Yard

Asaw

When I was a kid I lived off Addy Street. As you went up on the left where the flats are now in a yard was a derelict factory. Don't know if it was bombed out in the war or just left to rot but what was it.

Saw an article on You tube on Sheffield Slums wonder if that was part of them and the building was lived in before.

Anyone know were I can find anything about this out.

http://www.g7smy.co.uk/portmahon.jpg

Clue where the building was, if you come straight across from the end of Cross addy Street behind rge houses with the yard with the square in it was there not market on the map.

When I was a kid I lived off Addy Street. As you went up on the left where the flats are now in a yard was a derelict factory. Don't know if it was bombed out in the war or just left to rot but what was it.

i visited my granddads house a lot in the early to mid 1960s he lived at the bottom of addy st . i played a lot down upperthorpe with friends on shipton st that shared the same yard and toilets. we explored all the abandoned due to be pulled down houses etc. i remember venturing into what must have been a factory or workplace with white washed walls; even though some of the external walls were already down. this sounds like what your describing, though my recollection is it was nearer the oxford st side. cant help you any more than that i was only aged between 7 to 10 at this time. but thanks for triggering memories of great times in that area and time period

Not questioning you, but are you sure it was Addy Street and not Martin Street where the line of multiple story flats are?

The reason why I ask is I was born in 1953 on St Philips Rd just opposite the White Hart. I lived there till I was about eight or nine and remember playing on all the wrecks of the houses around us which were being pulled down. Sometimes we would wander across the rubble to where the Ponderosa is now and there was a factory.

I clearly remember the roof had those conical metal things which I think were to let heat out or something. It was pulled down to make way for the Ponderosa and would have been just below Hammond Street

Hi all thanks for responding.

Mel The factory you were thinking of was in the middle of the Ponderosa about 50 yds to the left of Hammond Hill. I also think that that may be the same one that davexl5 remembers. The factory I was on about was in one of the yards between Crookesmoor road and Addy street going up from Burlington Street (this is up to were they joined together opposite Whiteheads shop).

MINICOOP Think that Florrie Hammond had the Beer of on the corner of Addy and Cross Addy street. Can't remember if she had it before or after Marshalls,Mason,s then Goldthorpe.

Not questioning you, but are you sure it was Addy Street and not Martin Street where the line of multiple story flats are?

The reason why I ask is I was born in 1953 on St Philips Rd just opposite the White Hart. I lived there till I was about eight or nine and remember playing on all the wrecks of the houses around us which were being pulled down. Sometimes we would wander across the rubble to where the Ponderosa is now and there was a factory.

I clearly remember the roof had those conical metal things which I think were to let heat out or something. It was pulled down to make way for the Ponderosa and would have been just below Hammond Street

hi docmel i have have mentioned you in a previous post . i was born a few houses up from you in bellfield st 1955. i am not mistaken.the factory you are refering to was well known to me,as it still stood and operated long after all the surrounding houses had been flattened. indeed a friend of mine fell through thw asbestos corrugated roof on the hammond hill side. iran round the other side to where the firms entrance was just in time to see my mate

Just asked my husband about this as he was born and brought up around there, he can't remember a factory but he says there was a garage, that used to repair cars and things, he thinks it was owned by two brothers and that is was around that area just above Upperthorpe Picture Palace (cinema)

I don't know if this is of any help.

Just asked my husband about this as he was born and brought up around there, he can't remember a factory but he says there was a garage, that used to repair cars and things, he thinks it was owned by two brothers and that is was around that area just above Upperthorpe Picture Palace (cinema)

I don't know if this is of any help.

No thanks he was thinking about Blagdens in what use to be a old wooden building. This was in a yard if you went down an entry opposite Cross Addy Street

Archived