Fiesta fails MOT on emissions

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me. I bought an old fiesta 1.1 (94reg). It has just failed it's MOT on the emissions. Second tickover?

I took it away, it had oil change and filter, air filter, Lambda sensor AND a CAT. Took it back for its retest and it failed on emissions again. This time the readings were even higher! And it failed on ALL 3emissions tests.

Anyone have any ideas as I can't afford to keep spending silly money on a car that's not worth it?

can I ask how much you paid to have the work done ?? The reason I ask is a friends car has just failed on emissions and has been quoted £470 for a new cat and middle bit of the exhaust - Is this about the right price ??

If its failed on all 3 emmissions, Co, Co2 and hydrocarbons its burning oil, thats either valve seals or piston rings worn out allowing oil to get into the combustion chamber, it could also be a worn head gasket alowing oil to pass to a cylinder too. Either way its a major expense getting a garage to sort the problem.

Archived