Non Christians need not apply.

I have seen a spiffing job for "Head of Communications and Marketing" for a Sheffield based faith group which pays rather well too. All well and good until I get to the first point on the person specification;

Essential

1. A committed Christian actively involved in a local church with an understanding of the breadth of evangelism undertaken by Church Army and a commitment to it.

I find this a challenge to my professional integrity, that I need to be part of their club to do the job properly. Can Stonewall opt out of recruiting people not actively involved in being Gay? Can childrens' charities only employ people actively involved in raising children?

I presume they are acting legally and within some 'special case for faith' loophole.

Yup..what the above said. In law it's classed as a GOR (Genuine Occupational Requirement) their are quite a few of these and only certain situations permit their use, this being a fairly straightforward one I'd say.

Surely though, seeing as this job is for a faith organisation , then it wouldnt appeal to anyone other than a bible basher anyway . I know i wouldnt want to work for an organisation like that , as ive no wish to be preached at 24/7 .

I have seen a spiffing job for "Head of Communications and Marketing" for a Sheffield based faith group which pays rather well too. All well and good until I get to the first point on the person specification;

Essential

1. A committed Christian actively involved in a local church with an understanding of the breadth of evangelism undertaken by Church Army and a commitment to it.

I find this a challenge to my professional integrity, that I need to be part of their club to do the job properly. Can Stonewall opt out of recruiting people not actively involved in being Gay? Can childrens' charities only employ people actively involved in raising children?

I presume they are acting legally and within some 'special case for faith' loophole.

The organisation is the evangelical wing of the C of E - head of comms and marketing is essentially head of heathern conversion and bible bashing - so if you're not into that sort of thing then you wouldn't be able to do the job very well.

The organisation is the evangelical wing of the C of E - head of comms and marketing is essentially head of heathern conversion and bible bashing - so if you're not into that sort of thing then you wouldn't be able to do the job very well.

Perhaps but I may be able to do it very well as I have insight into how people of faith can be exploited when the right 'strings' are pulled. I am also conversant with the arguements from both sides. Provided I could put aside my dislike of the whole evangelical thing, I think I would be excellent at the job.

See regulation 7 of The Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations 2003 [sI 2003, no. 1660].

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cgi?doc=/uk/legis/num_reg/2003/20031660.html&query=%22Genuine+Occupational+Requirement%22&method=boolean

Thanks for posting that. I wonder if an Atheist group could get away with advertising for a person of 'no faith' as there isn't actually any religion or belief involved, just a lack of.

Perhaps but I may be able to do it very well as I have insight into how people of faith can be exploited when the right 'strings' are pulled. I am also conversant with the arguements from both sides. Provided I could put aside my dislike of the whole evangelical thing, I think I would be excellent at the job.

No you wouldn't. It would be like a vegetarian running an abbatoir.

Archived